Release devices

Cbsnj
New Contributor II

What is the best way to release a device when it's no longer in your organization? You are able to do it through Jamf School or Apple School Manager, which option should you use?

Thanks!

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

GregBobbett
Contributor

In my opinion, you want to remove the device from Jamf School first, then go to ASM and release the device from the organization. Jamf suggests this workflow for removing devices from Jamf: Device Removal from Jamf School - Jamf School Documentation | Jamf

Before I remove the management and while it's still on the wi-fi, I remove the device from any and all device groups. Then I'll go in and tell it to 'Permanently delete all deferred items' under Apps before I move the iPad to the trash. 

Might be some duplication of effort, but it works for me.

Greg Bobbett

View solution in original post

First off, Thanks for this question and great answers. 

My questions are: We have an iPhone that an upper level administrator who is retiring wants to purchase. If I release if from ASM and Jamf will it automatically be wiped or should I highly recommend they back it up? If they back it up will they be able to restore personal data?

Thanks,

Andre' Siedentopf 

Andre Siedentopf

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

a_hebert
New Contributor III

In order to release it for the organization you will need to do that through Apple School Manger.  you can delete if From Jamf School but if you dont release it from ASM then if it is resold it will still be part of your organization.

mdryer
New Contributor II

I would also say if it is still in your Jamf instance, you will want to remove the MDM profile from it. In Jamf Pro you can do that with a Management command. 
Not sure about Jamf School.

sayr01
Contributor

Release from Apple School manager and then remove profile from the device via JAMF.  

Cbsnj
New Contributor II

Thanks for your reply! Am I still able to delete the profile in Jamf School from the device after removing it from ASM?

GregBobbett
Contributor

In my opinion, you want to remove the device from Jamf School first, then go to ASM and release the device from the organization. Jamf suggests this workflow for removing devices from Jamf: Device Removal from Jamf School - Jamf School Documentation | Jamf

Before I remove the management and while it's still on the wi-fi, I remove the device from any and all device groups. Then I'll go in and tell it to 'Permanently delete all deferred items' under Apps before I move the iPad to the trash. 

Might be some duplication of effort, but it works for me.

Greg Bobbett

First off, Thanks for this question and great answers. 

My questions are: We have an iPhone that an upper level administrator who is retiring wants to purchase. If I release if from ASM and Jamf will it automatically be wiped or should I highly recommend they back it up? If they back it up will they be able to restore personal data?

Thanks,

Andre' Siedentopf 

Andre Siedentopf