Restricted Browser but still able to open

Kieran
New Contributor II

Hi

We have one student whose iPad is locked down.  Obviously we have to allow access to certain apps so that the student can work, however we discovered today that even though the student has his web browser restricted they are still able to open it when accessing a link from the gmail application.

Has anybody come across this before?

Thanks in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Fluffy
Contributor III

I believe it's the app. When Google Chrome is chosen to open links, it opens it as a new tab in Google Chrome. When opening a link with Safari, it opens a Gmail specific browser and does not open the Safari app itself.

From what I can tell, the profile is doing exactly what it's supposed. Because of that, it would seem the fault is with Safari having it as a feature. I'm sure it's working exactly as Apple intends, meaning we most likely can't do anything about it.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Fluffy
Contributor III

I have not come across this before, but I just tested it myself on one of our iPads. It seems like it is "blocked" except for a part of the Safari browser.

I sent a link for Jamf Nation and opened it in Gmail. Tapping on the link showed that Google Chrome was properly blocked as it said "Get", though it showed "Open" for Safari. Although, this seems to be opening it in Gmail technically as it is only opening that browser and not a tab. Nothing can be entered into the address bar and the Safari button in the top right corner will not open the page in the Safari app. Did not test with the System's Mail app.

Theoretically that should be fine, unless the student gets smart and sends links to themself in a roundabout way to visit websites. Realistically very possible. The only workaround I could see is blocking their email app as well.

Edit for clarification: I tested this by blocking Google Chrome and Safari in the Safelist and Blocklist payload for iPad profiles.

Kieran
New Contributor II

Which I have already done whilst trying to find a solution!!  Thanks for the reply. it's great to know that this has been replicated elsewhere.  I suppose the issue here is where does the fault lie? If the profile is set to not allow Safari, yet it is being used (sort of) through another app, then you'd say that Safari hasn't been blocked. Is it the Profile or is the app that gives you access?

Fluffy
Contributor III

I believe it's the app. When Google Chrome is chosen to open links, it opens it as a new tab in Google Chrome. When opening a link with Safari, it opens a Gmail specific browser and does not open the Safari app itself.

From what I can tell, the profile is doing exactly what it's supposed. Because of that, it would seem the fault is with Safari having it as a feature. I'm sure it's working exactly as Apple intends, meaning we most likely can't do anything about it.

Kieran
New Contributor II

Yeah, I'm accepting that as the "solution".  In reality, it's one student in a particular situation that generally no one else will be in.  As long as we're aware of it, then we can handle it manually.  Thanks for your help!!

timbyler1890
New Contributor III

This is a known problem, both Gmail and Google Maps will exhibit the same behavior. Our solution has been to use the content filter, this does come with it's own set of headaches but it will stop the opening of links.