User sync

Cbsnj
New Contributor II

Hi all!

I got a question from someone who couldn't sync their Jamf School users to Apple School Manager. Looking in his Jamf School portal, I saw the following error 'The user ** cannot be synched because the user was created manually in Jamf School or from an SIS'. 

Is it not possible to sync/upload Jamf created users from Jamf to ASM? Or am I missing something in the configuration or does it need to be done in a different way?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Lasse
Contributor

You can do two-way sync as per the Jamf School user guide(link down below). But, identity is something to be designed with care in both Jamf School and Apple School Manager(ASM). I have taken part in sync from SIS/Entra/Azure to Jamf School and SIS/Entra/Azure to ASM. And then different setup for respectively federated domain and managed Apple ID, or just users synced to Jamf School, one way. When the design is set and sound, it just works. In cases like yours, it is either a one or small amount of users failing due to being manually created, or a larger user flow design issue. 

I would consider opening a Jamf Ticket, or maybe even pay for Premium support just here, to go over the user sync and get a setup that works for your needs.

Source: https://learn.jamf.com/en-US/bundle/jamf-school-documentation/page/Syncing_with_Apple_School_Manager...

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Lasse
Contributor

You can do two-way sync as per the Jamf School user guide(link down below). But, identity is something to be designed with care in both Jamf School and Apple School Manager(ASM). I have taken part in sync from SIS/Entra/Azure to Jamf School and SIS/Entra/Azure to ASM. And then different setup for respectively federated domain and managed Apple ID, or just users synced to Jamf School, one way. When the design is set and sound, it just works. In cases like yours, it is either a one or small amount of users failing due to being manually created, or a larger user flow design issue. 

I would consider opening a Jamf Ticket, or maybe even pay for Premium support just here, to go over the user sync and get a setup that works for your needs.

Source: https://learn.jamf.com/en-US/bundle/jamf-school-documentation/page/Syncing_with_Apple_School_Manager...

Cbsnj
New Contributor II

Thank you!!!

I saw quite a bit of users that got the error. I'll open a Jamf Ticket so that they can have a look.

SydneyPowell
New Contributor

Thank you so much for your help.