Users can't delete apps

inertial
New Contributor

We received some iPads for the teachers. The only option they have when holding the finger on the homescreen is sharing the app. There are no other options like removing or modifying. In Restrictions "Allow removing apps" is chosen. There is a layout pushed to the devices, though. Could that be the problem? Thanks for the help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

psav
New Contributor II

Is it possible for the teachers to delete the apps by going through the Settings app -> General -> iPad Storage, then tapping on the app?

This works for our teachers, but we are using JAMF Pro.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

mh-jena
Contributor

Maybe the App by itself has the settings set for "Prevent User from removing the App" 

You can change it in every App, or via bulk action in the App-Inventory list.

Bildschirmfoto 2022-03-01 um 23.04.47.pngBildschirmfoto 2022-03-01 um 23.03.31.png

Yes, forget to mention that this is turned off.
The remove-option itself is missing in the conteyt menu when you "long-click" the apps on the homescreen.

Fluffy
Contributor III

I think you're on the right track with thinking about the layout. I would test disabling the Layout payload.

I just tested it on a couple of iPads with a disabled Restrictions profile and found that the forcing a layout removed the ability to remove/delete apps.

inertial
New Contributor

Yes, that worked. All options including deleting the apps were available in the context menus. But that can't be the solution, can it? We want to force a layout as many colleagues are new to the devices and many learning apps are installed. Guess they'd just get confues.

psav
New Contributor II

Is it possible for the teachers to delete the apps by going through the Settings app -> General -> iPad Storage, then tapping on the app?

This works for our teachers, but we are using JAMF Pro.

inertial
New Contributor
Perfect. That works. After years working with iPads I was not aware of that function. Thanks.