Sonoma - Can't Unlock Mac after Sleep or Screen Saver

dan_berlyoung
New Contributor III

I am seeing this issue with Macs running Sonoma and Connect 2.27.0. I am not sure if Connect is actually causing this but it is currently my prime suspect.

What is happening is this. The Mac boots up, asks for a PW to decrypt the drive and then opens to the Finder no problem. I can also log in using the Local Login option. If I then log out, it brings up Connect and I can log back in no problem.

But (you knew this was coming) if I lock the screen or put the machine to sleep from the Finder, when it wakes up and asks for a password, it will not accept whatever I enter. It acts like I'm entering the wrong password and I can't get past this and must reboot the machine to get back in.

Anyone else seeing this? I have't seen it on any of my machines before Sonoma.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

dan_berlyoung
New Contributor III

The issue seems to have resolved itself. I'm not entirely sure why and I have not been able to reproduce it.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

Hugonaut
Valued Contributor II

Another thread, you are not alone: https://community.jamf.com/t5/jamf-nation/sonoma-lock-screen-wont-take-correct-password/td-p/300345

Virtual MacAdmins Monthly Meetup - First Friday, Every Month

dan_berlyoung
New Contributor III

The issue seems to have resolved itself. I'm not entirely sure why and I have not been able to reproduce it.

MarcoR
New Contributor II

I'm having similar issues but

Login after Screen Saver was ok but not anymore after sleep.

I'm now on Jamf Connect 2.28.0 and hopping that this fixes the issue.

AdnanBuric
New Contributor

I'm having same issue, and I'm on JamfConnect 2.28
Sonoma, M2

neotruth
New Contributor

We are using a different MDM, but experiencing the same issue on a small number of Somoma machines still today. 

Ananai
New Contributor II

Same thing, sleep triggers a bug where the user's AD password is not accepted anymore.

jbordelon
New Contributor

We are experiencing the same issue at our organization. On some machines, the issue goes away on its own, but most of the systems in our environment are stuck with the problem. This issue occurs on managed and unmanaged computers with macOS Sonoma. I opened a ticket with Apple regarding this issue and spoke with an engineer last week. Apple is aware of the issue, and many organizations are complaining. They can replicate it in-house. The issue will be fixed in macOS Sonoma 14.2. I believe Apple released the beta on the developer channel. There isn't a mention of it fixing the issue, but the Apple engineer I spoke to assured me that it will be resolved with that update. 

A few things the Apple engineer mentioned worked for some users: 

1. Switch to a solid color wallpaper.  (Didn't work for me)

2. Temporarily turn off the policy that forces a user to sign in with a password once the screen saver is triggered. (Not an option at our organization (HiEd and Medical)).

darth_undesirab
New Contributor II

I'm having a similar experience on several of my Macs. Details are below, but after sleep or screensaver it will take my password but won't complete the login process. The only input is the mouse but I can't click on anything. I simply get a spinning circle (as if it's signing in) and it never fully logs in.
https://community.jamf.com/t5/jamf-nation/sonoma-won-t-sign-in-after-sleep/td-p/308327?emcs_t=S2h8ZW... 

Trstn-Crkmr
New Contributor

Posting here as I am still running into this issues with users not being able to sign in using a password after the computer goes to sleep. This is occurring on 14.3.1 as well.