Microsoft Office 365 icons removed from dock after updating

Supreme
New Contributor

Hello,

I'm having an issue, after updating Microsoft Office through patch management, the office icons previously saved to the dock were removed. It would be ideal if the dock icons could be replaced after office is updated. Has anyone come across this and have a solution? 

9 REPLIES 9

scottb
Honored Contributor

Seems odd.  And you don't need to update icons after updates.  Something in your process is removing them.

They don't need to be moved or updated in the Dock.  So, look for something in your setup that's removing icons...

Supreme
New Contributor

I guess I worded it wrong. When I push MS office it deletes the saved icons from the dock, and the users will have to add them back. I would like them to remain on the dock if they were previously saved. 

scottb
Honored Contributor

That's what I'm saying.  Whatever your process is, it's removing the icons which is odd.

They don't need to be removed (unless you're doing a remove policy) and updates shouldn't remove them either.

How are you updating your Office apps?

Supreme
New Contributor

I'm using the Office package that was provided Microsoft, uploaded it through JAMF Admin, and distributed via Patch Management.  When the policy is ran, Office is removed from the mac first, then the new version is installed.

scottb
Honored Contributor

Go to this page to get installers...it's an MS site, so it's legit:

https://macadmins.software/

Then, setup a profile to update your Office apps and you should not have this issue.  You don't need to uninstall Office before updating it, and this should get you going...

I can post up my Profile for MAU2 (MS updater) if you need to have a look.

Supreme
New Contributor

I've used this site on the past. I will use it again and see what happens. 

Thank you for your help.

Jaykrishna1
Contributor II

The removal of Office icons from the dock after an update can be due to the fact that the icons are stored in a different location and are not automatically restored after an update. Here are some steps to restore the Office icons to the dock:

1. Locate the Office apps: Open Finder and navigate to the Applications folder. Find the Office apps that you want to add to the dock and make a note of their location.

2. Add the Office icons to the dock: Right-click on each Office app icon and select "Options" then "Keep in Dock". This will add the Office app icon to the dock.

3. Verify the Office apps: Once the Office icons have been added to the dock, verify that the apps are working as expected by launching them from the dock.

Note: After each update, you can also automate this process by creating a script that adds the Office icons to the dock. The script can be deployed through your management platform or run manually.

scottb
Honored Contributor

I have never seen icons removed from the Dock unless specifically being done or apps get deleted.

If we had to script the Dock icons after every app updated, we'd be in trouble...

Apps update daily, and icons in the Dock remain intact.

cricri_mac
New Contributor

I have the same problem on my Macs.
My dock is made by a profile.
in 'Files and Processes' I add the command 'killall Dock' and the dock is displayed correctly at the end of the office installation.