7.2 - Smartgroups not updating

Not applicable

Has anyone noticed that smart groups are not updating instantly after updating to 7.2 when a machine matches the criteria of the group? If I go in to edit the group, it updates, but not automatically.

Paul Austin
End User Computing Wells Fargo Corporation
704 427-0903

4 REPLIES 4

RobertHammen
Valued Contributor II

Hmmmm, wonder if this is the same problem I had.
On Mar 17, 2010, at 11:57 AM, Paul Austin wrote:

At one site running 7.2, had to perform a true-up on Adobe Creative Suite licenses. So I had a policy to run the uninstallCS4 script from the Resource Kit, scoped to a static group of non-authorized users (named the policy with a 2 prefix so it would run first when a machine was seen), and do a recon when done. I also had policies which applied to a Smart Group of users who didn't have Adobe Acrobat Pro 9.3.0 or 9.3.1, to cache and the updates (by actually deploying a new Adobe Acrobat Pro folder).

Saw this happening on a few machines, where the 2uninstall policy would run and recon, a couple of other ones, then here comes the "cache and install Adobe Acrobat Pro 9.3.x" script. Uh, I just uninstalled the Creative Suite, at least 4-5 minutes have passed while running other policies (which may have also had recons as part of the policy), I don't want to re-deploy Acrobat Pro (which won't run anyway because of the licensing being removed as part of the uninstall). It seemed that the smart group wasn't getting updated quickly.

I ended up renaming the "cache and install Adobe Acrobat Pro" update policy with a z in front of the name so it would run last among all of the pending policies. Seems to have worked around the problem, but why I should have to is unclear to me...

--Robert

rdagel
New Contributor II

I had the same issue to. If i had a policy that was based on a smart group, it would not only use the orginal computers in the smart group. If computers where added they did not run a policy, i found out that this was an issue because i have some software that needs to be installed after a computer is image. if you reimage a computer it would not run the policy again. I got around it by using the flushPolicyHistory.sh script after a computer is imaged then it will clear out the policy history for that computer and run the policy again.

Not applicable

I'm also starting to realize that some Smart Groups are not properly
updating. Not cool. Hope this is addressed in the soon to be released

fsjjeff
Contributor II

I know this is a bit of an older thread, but wondering if anyone has found a resolution to this issue? I'm just jumping into the Casper waters and running into this issue already. Kinda disappointed right now about that.

Jeff Dyck | Analyste de reseaux - Mac OS X
Conseil Scolaire Francophone de la Colombie-Britannique (SD 93)
3550 Wellington Street, Annexe B - Port Coquitlam, BC - V3B 3Y5
Tel: 778-284-0902 - Cell: 778-990-7960 - http://support.csf.bc.ca

![external image link](attachments/dfee8083ab694b43b0845121879afe88)