API Extension_Attributes Error in XML file

Pauljmiddleton
New Contributor

This is more for others to find than a question...

I've been working on a JavaScript/nodeJS webapp for all our asset tracking, basically bringing all our device management tools together (AD, Meraki, ZenDesk and JAMF) to display all assets owned by and used by an individual.

Our iPads are all insured and the process for claiming is pretty long winded and they almost always come back as a different serial number so we have to jump through several hoops to log all this, they're leased and the lease company want us to reference which devices have been replaced with which serial number!

Long story short I wanted to store all our insurance claim stages in JAMF and pull that data into the Web App. Using the API to get and PUT that data into JAMF.

To store the data I created several extension_attribute fields and was pulling data in JSON format absolutely fine, no problems. Then I wanted to write back, could I do that, could I heck! Two days of looking, no answers.

Finally found the solution:

For reference my XML data looks like this:

<mobile_device> <extension_attributes> <extension_attribute> <id>5</id> <name>Current Status</name> <type>String</type> <multi_value>false</multi_value> <value>With Insurance Company</value> </extension_attribute> </extension_attributes> </mobile_device>

Turns out, when you add an extension attribute you can specify which category to display it in, I have Hardware selected, changing the category in JAMF to Extension Attributes resolved the problem.

Pretty sure the alternative would be to change <extension_attributes> above to <hardware> would probably have also solved the problem!

0 REPLIES 0