Auto config Proxy settings for ethernet??

amotzney
New Contributor

Has anyone been successful in implementing a configuration profile (or anything else that works) that fills in the Proxy settings information for ethernet connections, like Thunderbolt and USB? So far, I am having to manually enter this information into the image before I pull it with Casper.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

JPDyson
Valued Contributor

Ben wrote this script that does it; I'd like to let him link it and not steal his thunder, but since I found it on his blog...

http://macmule.com/2011/09/09/how-to-change-the-automatic-proxy-configuration-url-in-system-preferen...

View solution in original post

bentoms
Release Candidate Programs Tester

@ Josh, link away!! Else there was no point me posting it.

@ Allon, I use that script in my imaging process & daily to make sure the correct proxy is set.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

JPDyson
Valued Contributor

Ben wrote this script that does it; I'd like to let him link it and not steal his thunder, but since I found it on his blog...

http://macmule.com/2011/09/09/how-to-change-the-automatic-proxy-configuration-url-in-system-preferen...

bentoms
Release Candidate Programs Tester

@ Josh, link away!! Else there was no point me posting it.

@ Allon, I use that script in my imaging process & daily to make sure the correct proxy is set.

amotzney
New Contributor

@Josh and @Ben

Thank you both for the point in the right direction! Looks great.

nkalister
Valued Contributor

sure wish OS X supported pre-populating proxy settings for removable adapters that haven't been used on a particular machine. I'm really tired of people buying thunderbolt displays and then saying their proxy is broken when in fact the proxy setting just hasn't been applied to the new NIC.

JPDyson
Valued Contributor

You could, in theory, craft a launchdaemon for this. I bet there's a way to set a watch file that would trigger it, and it would run the script whenever a new adapter was detected. I'm going to try that...

nkalister
Valued Contributor

yep, that's exactly what I was thinking, I just need to sit down with fseventer to figure out what to watch.

SeanA
Contributor III

Did anybody develop something that watched for whenever a new network interface was detected?

SeanA
Contributor III

Dupe post.