Auto-populate user info from LDAP using Jamf API?

geoffrepoli
Contributor

Apologies if this has been answered elsewhere.

I'm experimenting with modifying the username value using the REST API rather than our current method of running jamf recon -endUsername $user, but realized that the former won't update the corresponding user attributes via LDAP as does inventory collection.

I realize I can just PUT the Real Name and Email Address values as well... but that would kind of defeat the purpose of mapping LDAP in the first place, not to mention invite the possibility of inconsistency.

Is there a workaround for this to allow both username updates via API + LDAP autopopulation? Or am I required to update it via recon to achieve this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

dgreening
Valued Contributor II

If you use the API to place the AD username into the "username" field in the computer record, and also have Jamf set to query LDAP on inventory lookup (in the inventory collection prefs) you should be good to go.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

dgreening
Valued Contributor II

If you use the API to place the AD username into the "username" field in the computer record, and also have Jamf set to query LDAP on inventory lookup (in the inventory collection prefs) you should be good to go.

geoffrepoli
Contributor

@dgreening : I was literally just too impatient. :| The fields updated a few minutes after the username value was changed. Problem solved or I guess there was never a problem at all. Appreciate the help regardless!

Just kidding it's not solved.