Can I view Domain Accounts via JAMF?

HaylieRoselea
New Contributor

Can I view domain accounts in JAMF? All I can see so far is Local users on any laptop I log into. What am I missing?

12 REPLIES 12

Johnny_Kim
Contributor II

Do you have mobile accounts enabled?

HaylieRoselea
New Contributor

Where would I find that button? send a screen shot if you can please

MAD0oM
Contributor

@HaylieRoselea when you say Domain accounts do you mean can you browse the domain and search for users on the domain example apps like Windows AD searches the domain for users and you can edit , etc. or like WGRM searching the domain? is that what you're referring to?

Johnny_Kim
Contributor II

Login as a AD user and open system preferences -> Users & groups.

Also, while you're in that screen, what does it show under the logged in username within "Users & Groups"?

058ca5fa45e34d8f8c7cb8c0f703d6e1

HaylieRoselea
New Contributor

I want to add and remove Domain Users via JAMF. I also want to give specific permissions to Domain users. The Local accounts are admin but the Domain accounts on the laptop are admin, Managed, Mobile but I do not see them anywhere in JAMF that the domain user is even on the laptop. I only see that there is an Admin local account.

HaylieRoselea
New Contributor

I want to add users via JAMF and give them certain permissions.

Johnny_Kim
Contributor II

Are you trying to grant AD users permission within the JSS?

HaylieRoselea
New Contributor

Yes

HaylieRoselea
New Contributor

Well yes and no. I would rather do it Via my Jamf admin console

MAD0oM
Contributor

so basically you're trying to add users VIA the JSS and give them access like access to certain apps? admin privileges and whatever else? thats what I'm understanding. If thats what you're trying to do then JSS doesn't grant domain users individual admin rights unless I'm missing something you'd need to create a security group within AD first then add users in that group and you should be on your way with this.

HaylieRoselea
New Contributor

Alright how about this... Why can I not see all of the users on a laptop via my admin program?

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

@HaylieRoselea Have you set up a connection from the JSS to your AD domain controllers? That has to happen first before you'll be able to add users into the JSS from AD and assign them permissions. Once that connection is set up, you'll also be able to do things like set up policies that can use AD groups or individual AD users as the scope limitation, which gives you some additional flexibility.

You can add LDAP servers by going to System Settings > LDAP Servers in your JSS.

Edit: reading further, I may be misunderstanding exactly what it is you're looking to do, so if the above doesn't apply here, just ignore it.