Casper Admin 9.81 -- new packages are stripped of permissions

ryan_s
New Contributor II

Hey guys,

I wanted to get your opinions around a permission issue I've recently encountered. Basically I upload something to Casper Admin (pkg, dmg, script, etc) -- at this time 100% of these packages/payloads are not inheriting the parent "packages" folder's permissions and are replaced with "casperinstall" having read and "everyone" having none (no permissions); that's the end of the ACL -- these DPs are OS X 10.9 machines and all AFP/SMB shares.

Its easy enough to fix by logging in to each distribution point and manually telling the package to inherit permissions...but quite tedious. I am not exactly sure why this started happening or where to look for issues. The permissions on each of the individual-shares are correct, but packages inside aren't inheriting this. Where do I start to look?

4 REPLIES 4

bentoms
Release Candidate Programs Tester

@ryan.s Are you sure the permissions are correct in the master DP?

Also, how are you syncing the DP's from the master?

davidacland
Honored Contributor II
Honored Contributor II

To confirm whether it's Casper Admin or not, what happens if you copy the files to the DP using the Finder? (with it mounted as the same user Casper Admin uses).

ryan_s
New Contributor II

@bentoms -- I generally replicate by dragging a pkg or Composer dmg into Casper Admin, save. While still in Casper Admin, select all our DPs and replicate with the app itself. I had our SysAdmins check the DFS share and the disk permissions all look correct and the share permissions are basically wide open.

@davidacland -- I'll give this a try today and see what happens! Good thought. I'll provide an update when I have a chance to test this out.

ryan_s
New Contributor II

Just to follow up on this: for some reason when copying, for example, a PKG into Casper Admin the "casperadmin" account permissions are stripped from the PKG but "casperinstall" remains in tact. When manually drag/drop this same file into the Packages directly local on the distribution point the permissions do not change. So somehow, Casper Admin seems to be the culprit in this example.

If I adjust the permissions on the [master] DP and then replicate all is well, but I am having to do this for basically all new packages. Any additional thoughts @bentoms ?