Cisco Secure Client 5.1.2.42 Installation Failed

RenAdmin
New Contributor III

Details

Executing Policy Install Cisco Secure Client 5
Downloading Cisco Secure Client 5.1.pkg...
Downloading https.jamfcloud.com/jcds/downloads/Cisco%20Secure%20Client%205.1.pkg...
Verifying package integrity...
Installing Cisco Secure Client 5.1.pkg...
Installation failed. The installer reported: installer: Package name is
installer: Installing at base path / installer: The install failed. (The Installer encountered an error that caused the installation to fail. Contact the software manufacturer for assistance. The package is attempting to install content to the system volume.)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Dperk
New Contributor III

If it helps, i followed this link to get it working for my company. Secure Client is kinda a pain to get packaged and installed correctly. 

https://support.umbrella.com/hc/en-us/articles/23515921165844-How-to-deploy-Cisco-Secure-Client-via-...

View solution in original post

22 REPLIES 22

RenAdmin
New Contributor III

Any help is appreciated. 

jamf-42
Valued Contributor II

Look at install log

RenAdmin
New Contributor III

Logs reveal the following

Installation failed. The installer reported: installer: Package name is
installer: Installing at base path / installer: The install failed. (The Installer encountered an error that caused the installation to fail. Contact the software manufacturer for assistance. The package is attempting to install content to the system volume.)

obi-k
Valued Contributor II

Did you re-package this in any way? Or did you upload the .pkg file straight after downloading from Cisco? 

Also, did you apply the needed configuration profiles (Managed Login items).

RenAdmin
New Contributor III

I downloaded and re-packaged it 

Yes i also applied the (Managed Login items). 

obi-k
Valued Contributor II

Ok, I'm guessing this is where the issue is. Did you re-package because you wanted to get rid of the dumb stuff Cisco added to the package?

If so, I recommend skipping them .XML method and going with the package expand/flatten command. 

Give the link a shot on a clean Cisco Secure Client Package.

https://community.jamf.com/t5/jamf-pro/cisco-vpn-anyconnect-4-10-03104-apple-silicone-m1-pro-macos/m...

RenAdmin
New Contributor III

Trying this as we speak.

RenAdmin
New Contributor III

Received the following not sure what went wrong now instructions were straight forward.

Installation failed. The installer reported: installer: Cannot install on volume / because it is disabled.
installer: An error occurred while evaluating JavaScript for the package.

obi-k
Valued Contributor II

Odd. Do you get this error if you try to install it on a different Mac? Try running a script clean-up before install...

• Open Terminal

• Run command: 

sudo /opt/cisco/secureclient/bin/cisco_secure_client_uninstall.sh 

• Install package again

RenAdmin
New Contributor III

/opt/cisco/secureclient/bin/cisco_secure_client_uninstall.sh: command not found

RenAdmin
New Contributor III

See image I believe I did step 7 correct

Screenshot 2024-03-27 at 2.32.17 PM.png

obi-k
Valued Contributor II

Looks like you still have the choices outline for the apps. Here is mine...Screenshot 2024-03-27 at 2.53.24 PM.png

RenAdmin
New Contributor III

Hey question when you get it to deploy i noticed the application installs and everything is great however i notice it doesn't start up or run automatically is this by default?

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

I'm using a choice.xml to customize our Cisco Secure Client 5.1.2 installation, and it seems to be working ok for us. I had some trouble initially (same type of errors you're seeing) with the choice changes xml route, until I used one of @talkingmoose's scripts to generate the XML file. Apparently the installer is very finicky and if it receives a choices xml that isn't just right it complains at you.

Odd thing I was seeing is that the installation would actually work, meaning the product was installed to disk, even though the policy log was saying it failed. Do you happen to be seeing the same thing?

Dperk
New Contributor III

If it helps, i followed this link to get it working for my company. Secure Client is kinda a pain to get packaged and installed correctly. 

https://support.umbrella.com/hc/en-us/articles/23515921165844-How-to-deploy-Cisco-Secure-Client-via-...

RenAdmin
New Contributor III

This documentation is what I was using however something went wrong:  Steps 5 is not the most clear and if not done correctly will cause it to FAIL like what happen to me other then that this documentation WORKS.|  Step 5:  Launch JAMF Composer. If the "Choose a method to create your package:" window popups, click "Cancel" on the bottom left. Drag install_choices.xml, OrgInfo.json, and Cisco Secure Client.pkg into JAMF Composer. Right click on the tmp folder and select "Create New Directory". Name it exactly Profiles and drag ACTransforms.xml inside of this folder. This will create the following directory (rename the sources into a unique name):

Just worked through this the other day in my org. Btw not sure if you use jamfconnect for SSO but you may want to add another config profile that assigns the macOS User Identity UPN for Umbrella. Like in the documentation here https://docs.umbrella.com/deployment-umbrella/docs/active-directory-policy-enforcement-and-identitie...

with jamf you can sub in your <string>$EMAIL</string>  for <string>user@domain.com</string>  depending on what you use. 

As for creating the package I opted for using https://github.com/talkingmoose/Choices-Packager to get the XML then took that in tossed it into Composer then modified the post install script as well as adjusted a few things to match the https://support.umbrella.com/hc/en-us/articles/23515921165844-How-to-deploy-Cisco-Secure-Client-via-...

Granted my install is for Umbrella Only not sure if you would need to add anything else for additional modules.

RenAdmin
New Contributor III

Hey question when you get it to deploy i noticed the application installs and everything is great however i notice it doesn't start up or run automatically is this by default?

Dperk
New Contributor III

Sorry for the late reply. I had to build a config profile that added cisco's anyconnect service to start on logon. After that, a quick reboot made sure the service launched correctly. 

Dperk_0-1711978037317.png

RenAdmin
New Contributor III

I have this setup but service doesn't start at login not even after a reboot. any other ideas?

Dperk
New Contributor III

What error does it give? or are you asking for the secure client app itself to auto launch and popup. If you're just looking for the app itself, then by default i dont think it launches automatically. But you should be able to instead do "Login Items" in jamf and build it out for cisco. ( dont have a screenshot for that one as we dont force cisco to launch on boot for our users)

RenAdmin
New Contributor III

i was looking for the application to open but i realize that it still running so no need to have it open it was more important make sure its running after it installs and it is happening. im all set thank you for your assistance.