Demobilize account - what for?

jameson
Contributor II

Just wondering what the benefit is from demobilize an account from mobile to local.
If the Mac is unbind from the domain and the the user then continue to use the same mobile account for login? Is there any benefit of getting the account local ?

I know I propably look most clean just using local account, but just wondering if I should go for nomad login where this mobilization is possible

2 REPLIES 2

Sanchi
Contributor

Demobilisation can help in one way in my case - a mobile managed locally cached AD account tries to contact AD at login and at screensaver unlock and at times that process can cause a long login delay particularly if it’s a FileVaulted account.

Demobilisation will remove those remote links to AD and make the account auth locally like a normal local account.

NoMAD Login can help laptops out a lot in certain environments with this feature allowing you not to have to rely on your traditional AD bind to create the account and subsequently sync password changes from Mac to AD and from AD to mac (if you also use NoMAD also).

I’m experimenting with demobilisation right now with the above concerns which it’s stated to assist with.

boberito
Valued Contributor

The user may not be able to change their password if it isn't demobilized and converted properly. If you use some of the scripts floating around (Rich Trouton's for example), it'll change all the attributes in their account basically to local.