Disable Space's Command Line Help.

FastGM3
Contributor

Hi,

I've got a couple of OSX images with spaces enabled in the Keyboard shortcuts, that now because of a secure browser testing program I need to disable. In 10.7 and 10.8 the Preference is in Keyboard Preferences "Keyboard Shortcuts", and in 10.9 it's in Keyboard Preferences "Shortcuts".

Anyone here clever enough to help me with a easy way to turn this off via a command line for all users?

Here's a screen shot of the two boxes I need unchecked in 10.7, 10.8 and 10.9
specifically it's the "Move left a space" and "Move right a space" box, the last two boxes checked in this photo.

external image link

Thanks any help would be much appreciated.
Chuck

3 REPLIES 3

keaton
Contributor
Contributor

Hey Chuck,

Here are a few things we can take a look at. I have not tested these, but I believe this will disable Mission Control entirely.

Mac OS X: Disable Mission Control and Spaces
http://www.defaults-write.com/mac-os-x-disable-mission-control-and-spaces/#.UyF-SmRdWGk

Managed Client: How to disable Exposé and Spaces
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3933

Hope this helps!

Cheers,
Keaton
JAMF Support

brad
Contributor

Hi Chuck,

We have the same issue. We have a dedicated user for AIR testing so these commands would have to run at each user's login. Let me know if you come up with something better.

With 10.7 and 10.8 these are the commands we ran:

/usr/libexec/PlistBuddy -c "Set :AppleSymbolicHotKeys:79:enabled NO" /Users/username/Library/Preferences/com.apple.symbolichotkeys.plist
/usr/libexec/PlistBuddy -c "Set :AppleSymbolicHotKeys:80:enabled NO" /Users/username/Library/Preferences/com.apple.symbolichotkeys.plist
/usr/libexec/PlistBuddy -c "Set :AppleSymbolicHotKeys:81:enabled NO" /Users/username/Library/Preferences/com.apple.symbolichotkeys.plist
/usr/libexec/PlistBuddy -c "Set :AppleSymbolicHotKeys:82:enabled NO" /Users/username/Library/Preferences/com.apple.symbolichotkeys.plist
/usr/libexec/PlistBuddy -c "Set :AppleSymbolicHotKeys:118:enabled NO" /Users/username/Library/Preferences/com.apple.symbolichotkeys.plist
sudo -u username /usr/bin/defaults write com.apple.dock mcx-spaces-disabled -bool true
killall Dock

In 10.9 preferences are now loaded into memory and not rechecked immediately. In a lot of cases just doing a read of the plist is enough to put the changes into effect, other cases the computer does need to be restarted.

defaults write /Users/username/Library/Preferences/com.apple.symbolichotkeys.plist AppleSymbolicHotKeys -dict-add 82 "{enabled = 0; value = { parameters = (65535, 124, 393216); type = 'standard'; }; }"
defaults write /Users/username/Library/Preferences/com.apple.symbolichotkeys.plist AppleSymbolicHotKeys -dict-add 81 "{enabled = 0; value = { parameters = (65535, 124, 262144); type = 'standard'; }; }"
defaults write /Users/username/Library/Preferences/com.apple.symbolichotkeys.plist AppleSymbolicHotKeys -dict-add 80 "{enabled = 0; value = { parameters = (65535, 123, 393216); type = 'standard'; }; }"
defaults write /Users/username/Library/Preferences/com.apple.symbolichotkeys.plist AppleSymbolicHotKeys -dict-add 79 "{enabled = 0; value = { parameters = (65535, 123, 262144); type = 'standard'; }; }"
chown -Rf username /Users/username/Library/Preferences/com.apple.symbolichotkeys.plist;
sudo -u username defaults read com.apple.symbolichotkeys

ksanborn
New Contributor III

@brad is was great meeting you last night at JNUC. I know this post is old but were you guys able to determine if these were the best options. Not sure what version of macOS the computer are running. I work for AIR and one of our departments has this question.