disable user from changing computer name

chsupport
New Contributor

hi all, sorry for the newb question, but i'm a newb...

we have a policy to rename the computer to the serial number, but we want to prevent them from changing their sharing preferences or renaming their computer.

i created a configuration profile to disable sharing in system prefs. but it did not work and i'm not sure what i'm doing wrong. i would love it if someone could please help me with this.

thanks in advance.

5 REPLIES 5

SQR
New Contributor

Its not greying out the sharing preferences? i know in the past there was some confusion where you had to check the stuff you want enabled instead of disabled - i believe. how is the config profile set-up?
In my past org we had sharing, security, start up, time machine, users and external media all blocked through the same method.

lgt28jr
New Contributor II

In the Configuration Profile check to ensure your restrictions confirm you have Checked "retract items in System Preferences" Disable selected Items" is checked and that "Sharing"1cc14bf45dbb466680c52ea8da636264 is checked

Stonham
New Contributor II

I had the same issue i just created this policy to run once a day. It will change the host name back daily. Your users will get sick of changing it back long before your JSS ever will :P
ecf797de6ffa4254bfc41d0e5e003f26

chsupport
New Contributor

ok, well, first of all, yes @lgt28jr , it is set up exactly that way.

and @Stonham i will try this, however we have some stubborn engineers who "don't like seeing the serial number in their shell" and continually change the name of their computer... which is what i'm trying to prevent.

any other suggestions to prevent this are greatly appreciated!

lgt28jr
New Contributor II

@chsupport We have switched from the above method I posted earlier as that disables the sharing folder to creating a configuration profile that just grey's out the the user from changing the system name. Create a Configuration Profile in the Login window Click Options Tab and Check the Box for "Set computer name to computer record name" that will grey just grey out the Computer name field so user can't change. I have some other options checked on this picture below. ee3019cd57ec4e639159a92d1a009969