EAP-TLS Wireless Server 2012 R2 Windows domain

Abdelhafid
New Contributor

Hey everyone,

We have aquired a number of macs recently and are testing the casper suite to manage them. I have been trying to get the macs to use an AD computer certificate to log into our WIFI.

I created a configuration profile containing the network, certificate and AD certificate Payloads following the following guide:

https://www.afp548.com/2012/11/20/802-1x-eaptls-machine-auth-mtlion-adcerts/

When binding Macs to our windows 2008 R2 domain and using 2008 R2 Ceriticate servers and 2003 IAS (radius) servers this seems to work fine.

When binding the macs to our new windows 2012 R2 which uses 2012 R2 CA's en 2012 R2 NPS (radius). I can't get the macs to log onto wifi.

I enabled debug logging for the eapolclient and get the following error:

27-11-14 08:41:18,817 eapolclient[2038]: [EAPCertificateUtil.c:325] EAPSecIdentityCreateCertificateTrustChain(): SecTrustGetCertificateCount returned 0
27-11-14 08:41:19,196 configd[17]: EAPOLController: eapolclient(en1) pid=2038 exited with status 11

The macs do succesfully request en download an AD certificate to the system keychain.

The OSX Configuration profile that I'm pushing to the macs in the 2012 R2 domain is basically the same as the OSX profile I'm pusing to the clients in the 2008 R2 domain except for changed serversnamescertificates rusts.

The NPS doesn't log anything when this happens. When I block the macs from authenticating in NPS, the NPS logs a deny entry. When the macs hit a allow rule I get the error on the clients but no entry whatsoever on the NPS server. So it seems as soon as the macs try to auhenticate using eap-tls something fails on the client stopping the authentication process.

The windows machines using the same infrastructure can also authenticate succesfully.

The macs are running osx 10.9

Has anyone run into this error? thanks.

2 REPLIES 2

Bremmer
New Contributor

Hi,

Just to be sure:

- do you run the latest version of 10.9 (10.9.5)
- is it working on 10.10?

At one of our clients we had a issue when authenticating to the NPS from a different domain (while other domain was working). We 'fixed' it by adding the FQDN of the computer the AD computer object.

Abdelhafid
New Contributor

Hi,

I'm running 10.9.4, I''ll give it a try on 10.9.5 and 10.10 and report back.

I't doesn't seem to be a matter of the NPS not being able to resolve the computer object since when it isn't hitting any rules in the NPS the deny log returns the fqdn and the active directory location of the object.