Fonts package unable to install using Composer

sidhu_navdeep
New Contributor

Hi All,

I'm very new to Casper suite so please bear with me.

I created a fonts package using Composer utility by following below steps however unable to install the fonts using this package

1. Selected Normal Snapshot option
  2. Performed fonts installation using Font Book & saved the fonts under computer rather than user.
  3. Finished creating package in DMG format.

After that, I've manually removed the fonts from LibraryFonts folder & run this DMG package to reinstall the fonts but these fonts are not being installed.

Do I need to select other snapshot options in Composer to get this working or is there any other recommended way to create font package?

Any help will be much appreciated in this regard.

Cheers
Navdeep

4 REPLIES 4

strider_knh
Contributor II

First step should to check the install logs, does Casper say that the installation completes successfully?

Second I would either load the DMG back into Composer or mount it to confirm the fonts are part of the installer and located within Library/Fonts.

sidhu_navdeep
New Contributor

Many thanks for your response. I checked in install.log however nothing found related to fonts installation. When I mount the DMG, I can clearly see fonts are there under Library/Fonts...strange isn't it?

Anyways, I've selected Snapshot option "Monitor FileSystem Changes" & created a package (PKG) instead of DMG & it worked like charm!

Another question which is popping up in my mind...in which scenarios, we need to use DMG & in which cases, we should use PKG format?

Anyone please shed some light on this...

Matt
Valued Contributor

I use PKG's for just about everything unless it is something that needs to populate the users folders. Prime example Font Agent Pro puts a license file in each users profile. For that I use a DMG. I try and keep everything as a PKG though so that I have a standard installation across the board.

themacdweeb
Contributor

first off: no worries. if you're new to packaging items, you'll make some mistakes. it's a new skill and there's a learning curve.

secondly, use of a DMG is best when all you have are files that can be moved from point a to point b. use of a PKG is best when you have preflight/postflight scripts that also need to run. DMG's can't include bash scripts. not natively. not built INTO the DMG.

lastly, since mistakes are involved, your best bet is to invest in tools to learn what mistakes you're making AS YOU MAKE THEM. there's no better way than by checking logs. if your packages don't have logs: MAKE ONE. simple bask scripts can be included in composer as preflight or postflight to check various parts of your installation:

1) owner:permissions
2) proper file/directory placement

while you found your solution by trying a different kind of snapshot function, you should begin the practice of troubleshooting by leveraging your own toolset within the installation process.

cheers and good luck!