Google Chrome Proxy Plugins and any useful deploy scripts

mfadmin
New Contributor

Hi All
Having just installed Jamf Casper suite I'm keen to know if I can iron out any of the age old proxy issues we've had over the years with Mac web browsers such as Google chrome.

We use wpad 252 scope option in DHCP which serves both windows and Mac clients across the network.
Added to this we have a Microsoft TMG server acting as proxy.
Our Mac clients have been set to use the DHCP 252 option however Google chrome really struggles with this.

I believe there are proxy plugins available out there for Google chrome, so I wondered which are best to use and has anyone posted any package scripts for chrome plus any plug plugins working behind a proxy server such as TMG?

Many thanks

4 REPLIES 4

calumhunter
Valued Contributor

chrome should be using the system settings.
so in system preferences -> network do you have auto proxy discovery set?
are you seeing the correct wpad proxy url when you do ipconfig getpacket en0 ?

What about if you explicitly set the wpad url into automatic proxy configuration in network prefs?

mfadmin
New Contributor

Hi
Thanks for the reply

Yes we set Network to auto discovery.
After running ipconfig get packet en0 on the client in trouble it stated the correct pad proxy URL.

I ended up using Proxy Helper Extension downloaded from the Google Web Store and applied the static proxy address details for HTTP and HTTPS which has got the browser working again.
Previously TMG would throw back 502 errors.

calumhunter
Valued Contributor

Hmm in that case it sounds like the wpad file is not being interpreted correctly by chrome.

I've seen incredibly complicated javascript wpad files that behave differently on different browsers before. I'm guessing you can't ask for your web/dev team to try to make the wpad file more compatible with other browsers?

Setting proxies statically with an extension sounds horrible to try to do on mass

bentoms
Release Candidate Programs Tester

It's Chrome.

But give it two weeks then a new version will come out with it working, then two weeks a new version.....

We saw this with WPAD & PAC files specified over the past 2 years.

Browser that worked consistently? Safari.

Now we have not PAC/WPAD & go direct (via a proxy)... & things work fine on all.