Help - script vs. package?

francescurrit
New Contributor

I do apologize to everyone for wasting your time on this. But I'm brand new to Jamf and it is one of the more confusing user interfaces I've ever worked with.

Here's the end result I need - I want to include a .webloc file as a shortcut in both the Dock and Applications folder for all users. This .webloc file has a custom icon that I created for branding purposes.

I think I have the Dock option down - once I have the *.webloc file in the Applications folder, I can just create a Dock entry to point to it.

But that's where I'm stuck - what's the best way to get this file into the Applications folder? I don't want users to initiate it - I just want it to magically appear in their Applications folder like it's always been there. But I'm stuck on even getting started - is it better to do this as a package or a script? In Windows, I'd just create a script that references the logon event and go from there. But here, I'm at a loss. What's the process? Do I have to a have a package, do I do a script, do I mix and match the two?

Again, I do apologize for how elementary these questions are, but I've been getting hung up on just trying to get the mechanics down of the tool. Any advice anyone is willing to provide would be extremely well-received.

Thank you kindly for your time.

Frances

1 REPLY 1

Hugonaut
Valued Contributor II

you want to deploy the .webloc file with a package.

1. get a computer that's identical to the end users computer & turn it into a test bench for composer!

2. Install the application composer on test bench computer.

3. on test bench computer put the .webloc onto the desktop.

4. Launch the composer application, create a "New & Modified Snapshot" at the time you want to take the snapshot, move the .webloc to the applications folder and continue in composer. Then at the end build it into a package. & deploy it!

Virtual MacAdmins Monthly Meetup - First Friday, Every Month