How to update iOS?

clittle
New Contributor II

I have a chance to update some iPods from 8.4 to 8.41. I have never updated the iOS before and looking around I am wondering how its done. I want to make this as touchless as possible. I would love for the devices just to sit in their chargers and I push out the update over night and everything is done in the AM.

I have been looking at the KBase articles but not found anything yet. Anyone help me out on this one.

Thanks!

6 REPLIES 6

victor_wong
New Contributor
New Contributor

Hi clittle

I'm new to JAMF Software and Nation, hence this will be my first post to a thread :)

Firstly before you update, i'd recommend that you perform a device backup to your iCloud or iTunes account.
Click this link for steps on how to back up your devices.
https://support.apple.com/en-au/HT203977

When that is done, you got a couple of options to update your iOS devices:
1. Update your device wirelessly (also referred as 'over the air' update)
or
2. Update your device using iTunes
Click this link for steps on how to update your iOS devices
https://support.apple.com/en-au/HT204204

I would recommend updating your devices 'over the air', it is the easiest and most painless way to update your iOS devices, all you need is an internet connection enabled on the device(s) you intend to update (strongly recommend Wi-Fi as mobile data will eat up your data allowance) , I'll list the steps on this post but you can also click on the link above for your reference.
1. Plug in your device to a power source
2. On your iOS device open the 'settings' app, navigate to 'General' then tap 'Software Update'
3. Tap 'Download and Install'. Updates might download automatically while your device is connected to Wi-Fi and a power source.
4. Tap 'Install', or tap Later if you wish to install the update later. If you use a passcode, you'll need to enter it before installing the update.

Hope this was helpful :)

clittle
New Contributor II

Thanks for the reply but not what I was looking for.

I was looking for a way to push out the update via JSS. I do not want the user to initiate or have to touch the unit at all.

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

Unfortunately, I don't believe there is a way to push an iOS update to devices. Apple has not made that an option, so users still need to initiate it.
Now, I may be wrong on this since its been awhile now since doing any iOS device management. My knowledge on this isn't the most sound. Maybe someone else who does this day in and day can comment, but as far as I know, auto pushing an OS update still isn't possible.

cpdecker
Contributor III

Hi @clittle ,

Unfortunately, iOS 8 does not include any features that would allow you to push the update out using Casper or any other managed solution. I believe your two options for updating are what @victor.wong suggested previously. I also know there is a way to update iOS using Apple Configurator, if you have a sync station to plug the iPods into all at once, that might provide a quicker way.

If you only have a handful of iPods to update, I would humbly suggest that you just "touch the glass" as Apple calls it. Settings > General > Software Update to get to the updating screen. I know it's 2015 and you desire a less manual process, but this is what Apple has given us so far. If your users can initiate the update, it will save your time. Keep in mind that you won't be able to update to 8.4.1 anymore once iOS 9 comes out.

iOS 9 is supposed to be our savior here...it is supposed to include features that will allow us to manage the updating process via MDM. I don't have much info about that since I haven't had time to research it just yet.

clittle
New Contributor II

Thanks for the replies.
Here is to hoping iOS9 adds that feature/bug.

jeandelgadoc
New Contributor

You might find this useful. I updated to the latest version all at once.
http://www.jamfsoftware.com/resources/mass-updates-for-ios-with-casper-suite-982/

Let me know if this works for you