Import CSV directly into a Smart Computer Group?

donmontalvo
Esteemed Contributor III

So here is our typical workflow...

1. Analyst provides a list of 500 Mac Serial Numbers that we need to push something to.
  2. We have someone copy/paste all 500 Serial Numbers into a Smart Computer Group
  3. We then push to that Smart Computer Group
  4. Any stragglers who aren't in JSS will get the push once the Casper agent is installed.

Thanks to Criss Meyers and the folks at #jnuc, we were turned on to the Casper Suite SDK - August 2010 and the sample JSS Computer Importer - Cocoa.app tool.

During a conference I asked if it were possible to import CSV directly into a Smart Computer Group. The response was "possible but we haven't wrapped our head around how to do it yet". Reasonable response.

I wanted to post to this new Community to see if anyone has any ideas.

Thanks,
Don

--
https://donmontalvo.com
2 REPLIES 2

andrewseago
Contributor

Did you get a chance to add this to the Feature Request?

gabester
Contributor III

I'm sure I'm doing it wrong since I haven't had any answers to my own similar questions and this thread is a couple years stale, but I'd think using the JSS API on 9+ you can now push up your own smart group from an XML file. It's trivial from there to put the XML file together from your list of 500 serial numbers. However, I was warned that this may have an adverse impact on the JSS performance... so once you've got these 500 devices captured via your smart group transfer them to a static group and eliminate the smart group.