Issue with Wipe Computer Command

MCerano
New Contributor II

Hello,

I am running into a strange issue with the wipe computer management command on what seems to be specific 22" iMac models. The issue I am running into is that when I initiate the wipe command on the selected machine, the command goes through at first but when the machine reboots, it results in the "no boot disk found" error screen. I have tested this on several 22" 2019 Intel iMacs and they've all resulted in the same behavior. I have then had to manually restore the Mac via USB drive because the wiping process reverts the machines back to the original base OS. 

A retrace of my steps:
Select Mac to be wiped > start wipe computer command > type in 6-digit wipe pin > observe command going to the Mac > type the same pin into the Mac > allow the Mac to reboot > Mac displays "no boot disk" error

However, I have had a 100% success rate with wiping 27" 2020 Intel iMacs. One thing I've noticed that is different about the 2020 iMacs is that they do not ask for the 6-digit pin upon rebooting after receiving the wipe command. These iMacs go straight into the reinstallation process and after a few minutes, will display the welcome guide and enrollment page.

I'm hoping someone can shed some light on this, as I have several of these types of Macs that may need to be wiped in the future.

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

jamf-42
Valued Contributor II

Think 'erase content and settings' requires a Mac with T2 chip.. 2019 iMacs don't have one. 2020 iMacs do. 

You can use the keyboard combo to boot to recovery and install 'latest macOS supported'

Option-Command-R: When you press and hold these three keys at startup, Recovery might offer the latest macOS that is compatible with your Mac.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

jamf-42
Valued Contributor II

Think 'erase content and settings' requires a Mac with T2 chip.. 2019 iMacs don't have one. 2020 iMacs do. 

You can use the keyboard combo to boot to recovery and install 'latest macOS supported'

Option-Command-R: When you press and hold these three keys at startup, Recovery might offer the latest macOS that is compatible with your Mac.