jamf and jamfHelper hidden functions

bpavlov
Honored Contributor

I'm noticing that on first boot the postinstall.sh that is generated by Casper Imaging runs the following as the first line which is supposed to lock down the login window:

/usr/sbin/jamf launchJAMFHelper -path '/Library/Application Support/JAMF/bin/jamfHelper.app/

Then I realized this isn't documented anywhere. Has anyone documented some of the flags/options available for the jamf binary and jamfHelper.
Or does one have to try and tear open the binary to see what options are available?

6 REPLIES 6

kitzy
Contributor III

@rtrouton has a pretty good writeup on some of the hidden features here.

Grant_Klingbeil
New Contributor III

@bpavlov try this out:

jamf binary documented flags

jamf help

jamfHelper documented flags

/Library/Application Support/JAMF/bin/jamfHelper.app/Contents/MacOS/jamfHelper -help

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

Yes, but... jamf help doesn't specifically list the launchJAMFHelper command anywhere that I can see. I think that was the point of the original post.

bpavlov
Honored Contributor

@kitzy A little interesting, but still not everything it seems as it basically covers what you get when running jamf help.

@Grant.Klingbeil Thanks, I tried that already with jamfHelper too, but still doesn't point out that command I just gave.

Anyways, it seems clear that there are some other functions in the jamf binary that are definitely hidden. Perhaps intentionally or unintentionally.

Paging @john.miller: could you or another JAMFer share some further insight on hidden functions in jamf or jamfHelper? It would be great if everything that could be done with both tools were documented. I know I've read some threads in the past where jamfHelper had some options that weren't documented (wish I could find them now).

tron_jones
Release Candidate Programs Tester

There is also a:

jamf killJAMFHelper

Doesn't seem like there is any arguments after launchJAMFHelper, no matter what it just launches the generic full screen.

bpavlov
Honored Contributor

This is hidden:
sudo jamf removemdmprofile
will remove the MDM profile

This is not hidden, but helpful:
sudo jamf mdm
will re-enable MDM

@amanda.wulff Would it be possible to add the information in this discussion to the "jamf help" page?