Java 7 - 1.7.0_06 - first non-Apple Java package

Sonic84
Contributor III

Hello, After installing Java RTE 1.7.0_06 onto my MacBook Pro (Mac OS X 10.8.0) I noticed that Java 1.7.0 did not appear in the list of installed versions within /Applications/Utilities/Java Preferences.app neither is java 7 the default environment when accessing java from terminal ($java -version). Is anyone else seeing this behavior for the RTE?

Installing the JDK version of 1.7.0_06 seems to behave normally. The end goal is to have a Self Service item so select users can install Java 7 on their Macs. I should hope that the JDK isn't need for web browsing.

11 REPLIES 11

Matt
Valued Contributor

The Java Preferences are deprecated. They are Apples implementation only so you won't need the JDK. If you check, Java is now in the System Preferences pane.

FYI, I noticed that Java needed to be installed At-Reboot.

jhbush
Valued Contributor II

I'm finding that after installing the Java RTE 7 and disabling 6 in Java Preferences that my Juniper VPN no longer connects which leads me to think it's a combination of the two panels. I'm also seeing the version issue as well in terminal.

Matt
Valued Contributor

You can use them both in conjunction but as I stated the Java Preference App is Apple only and the Java System Pref Pane is Oracles implementation.

Walter
New Contributor II

Is it reasonable to think that a future release of OS X (e.g. 10.9) might remove the Java Preferences app and Apple's JRE?

jwojda
Valued Contributor II

I took the Oracle Java 7u7 and dumped the pkg into casper and deployed it. No errors popped up, but my EA doesn't register it as being updated (yes I ran recon).

If I manually install it on a machine the EA does register it... is there some funky voodoo thing we need to do to package?

Sonic84
Contributor III

If your EA us using 'java -version' to vet the version number it may be failing because the java 6 binaries are still in the default PATH (/usr/bin). The java 7 binaries are located /Library/Internet Plug-Ins/JavaAppletPlugin.plugin/Contents/Home/bin/

It's good to see Oracle updated Java to fix the 0Day in 1.7.0_06.

GabeShack
Valued Contributor III

Be aware this update to java will break anyone running PowerSchool Gradebook.
Gabe Shackney
Princeton Public Schools

Gabe Shackney
Princeton Public Schools

bentoms
Release Candidate Programs Tester

From the MacEnterprise Mailing List

Pearson has a workaround for this now - https://powersource.pearsonschoolsystems.com/d/67315

GabeShack
Valued Contributor III

Thanks. I don't have a login for Pearson but I saw the Apple workaround and I had already packaged a version using Pacifist with old installers of java for 10.7 and 10.6 and composer and it seems to make gradebook work again.
So annoying.

Gabe Shackney
Princeton Public Schools

j99mac
Contributor

What version of Java should I be Installed. What is the latest verison for 10.7

donmontalvo
Esteemed Contributor III

Java for OS X 2012-006: How to re-enable the Apple-provided Java SE 6 applet plug-in and Web Start functionality
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5559

--
https://donmontalvo.com