JSS on Parallels Server

Not applicable

is it a good or bad practice setting up a jss on parallels server or vm ware virtual machine?

can anyone share their experiences?

thanks!

cv

2 REPLIES 2

ernstcs
Contributor III

As a test environment good, as a production environment...it works, but I
wouldn't trust it anywhere near as much. I've had several issues dealing
with Parallels technical issues, and every time a new Server OS update comes
out I'm afraid Parallels server will make my VMs just become unresponsive.
So if you're patient with not wanting to test Server OS updates right away
and waiting for a patch, cool.

Craig E

donmontalvo
Esteemed Contributor III

Redundancy/resilience is a mandate for us, so we're looking VM all JSS implementations. We're not looking to do this on Apple hardware (more like VMWare ESX on Wintel cluster with lots of RAM and set up for HA). I know most vendors aren't exactly opposed to supporting you if you VM their solution, but most at least offer best-effort support (then VMWare steps in for any VM related issues).

We've VM'd lots of servers without any issues. In one environment our VM guys built a 12 node cluster of IBM 3850's, each with 64G of RAM and 16 cores. The catalog production department managers and users had no idea their production servers were VM'd (I hope they don't read these posts <g>). They didn't see any impact to performance, despite working directly off the server (QuarkXPress 200+ page layouts, Photoshop retouchers, etc.).

Based on feedback on this list, we're looking at giving JSS/Tomcat about 32G of RAM, not very demanding compared to the other VM'd stuff. So we're looking at something significantly smaller than the above setup. For sure we have no intention to do this on Apple hardware (never).

Don

--
https://donmontalvo.com