MySQL and Java high CPU Usage

jwojda
Valued Contributor II

our JSS seems to be extremely sluggish, even after reboot (taking about 5min to delete 1 machine record). The Activity monitor shows java @ 395% with 40min of CPU time (about how long it's been since I rebooted), and mysql is showing 255% @ 36min of cpu time.

It's on 9.63, with 10.10.1 and server 4.03..

nothing else running on the server (no users connected or netbooted or anything).

4 REPLIES 4

were_wulff
Valued Contributor II

@jwojda

I see you've already got a case open with your Technical Account Manager about this, and I've left a few notes on the case for him based on what I saw on your JSS Summary.

If you get a chance, it would also be helpful to know what MySQL is doing when the resource usage skyrockets like that; once it gets into that state again, log into MySQL:

use jamfsoftware;
show full processlist;

If nothing shows up but sleep threads, run it a couple more times, just to see if we catch any queries or calculations. Pasting the output of that into a .txt file or a reply e-mail on the case may be helpful in determining what the JSS is doing during those times when resource usage goes into the impossible percentage usage realm.

Thanks!
Amanda Wulff
JAMF Software Support

jwojda
Valued Contributor II

well, I have an ongoing policy that grants admin rights on 595+ machines every week. I dint think it's ever been flushed, so I was about to that. when I went into the JSS and clicked on logs for that policy, it just hangs...

i did the show full process list and this is the results.

mysql> use jamfsoftware; Database changed mysql> show full processlist; +-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+ | Id | User | Host | db | Command | Time | State | Info | +-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+ | 541 | jssread | jss.searshc.com:50821 | jamfsoftware | Sleep | 0 | | NULL | | 542 | jssread | jss.searshc.com:50822 | jamfsoftware | Sleep | 0 | | NULL | | 543 | jssread | jss.searshc.com:50823 | jamfsoftware | Sleep | 0 | | NULL | | 544 | jssread | jss.searshc.com:50824 | jamfsoftware | Sleep | 0 | | NULL | | 545 | jssread | jss.searshc.com:50825 | jamfsoftware | Sleep | 0 | | NULL | | 548 | jamfsoftware | localhost:49514 | jamfsoftware | Sleep | 4 | | NULL | | 549 | jamfsoftware | localhost:49515 | jamfsoftware | Sleep | 20 | | NULL | | 550 | jamfsoftware | localhost:49516 | jamfsoftware | Sleep | 20 | | NULL | | 551 | jamfsoftware | localhost:49517 | jamfsoftware | Sleep | 20 | | NULL | | 552 | jamfsoftware | localhost:49518 | jamfsoftware | Sleep | 4 | | NULL | | 553 | root | localhost | jamfsoftware | Query | 0 | init | show full processlist | +------------------------------------------------------------------------------+-----------------------+ 11 rows in set (0.00 sec) mysql>

jwojda
Valued Contributor II

nevermind, it just displayed :)

22k entries...

were_wulff
Valued Contributor II

@jwojda

I updated your case's notes with this new information; part of the problem may be that policy's history logs. That's something your Technical Account Manager can look into further with you, and he'll have access to some commands that may allow us to manually flush it out through MySQL.

It would also be worth saving the output that shows the 22k into a text file and sending that in on the case so he can take a look through it.

Thanks!
Amanda Wulff
JAMF Software Support