Netboot Issue Question

Matt
Valued Contributor

So all of the sudden Netboot stopped working outside of the building I am in. It used to work and just one day it stopped. Our Network Engineer did a Wireshark and said that the TTL was the issue but that has never changed nor do I know how to even change this. Any ideas would be great as this is the last piece of our environment working.

--
Matt Lee
FNG Sr. IT Analyst / Desktop Architecture Team / Apple S.M.E / JAMF Casper Administrator
Fox Networks Group
matthew.lee at fox.com<mailto:matthew.lee at fox.com>

Need Help? Call the Help Desk at (310) 969-HELP (ext 24357) or online at http://itteam<http://itteam/>
Help Desk Hours: Mon-Fri, 6AM-6PM PST

4 REPLIES 4

John_Wetter
Release Candidate Programs Tester

For us, anytime Netboot has stopped working, it's either been the server just needed a reboot, or someone messed with the IP helpers. Haven't had a Netboot issue in a long time though. My money is on the helpers not being there or that the netboot packets aren't properly being forwarded in a routed network.

John
--
John Wetter
Technical Services Manager
Educational Technology, Media & Information Services
Hopkins Public Schools
952-988-5373<livecall:952-988-5373>

Matt
Valued Contributor

The server has been rebooted and reimaged.

lisacherie
Contributor II

Hi Matt,

This sounds like an IP helper address problem.

You know your netboot server is ok, as it is working within the your building. You can verify a client outside of your building can netboot by configuring manually. If this works double check the IP helper addresses.

sudo bless --netboot --server bsdp://10.10.10.10

On HP switches you can verify the ip helper addresses with the following - note we have seen an issue where it didn't work with too many ip helper addresses set.

config
show ip helper-address

Hope this helps.

Lisa.

Lisa Davies
ICT Client Services Manager
Saint Ignatius' College, Riverview
Phone: 02 9882 8413
Mobile: 0417 005 735

Matt
Valued Contributor

For us, anytime Netboot has stopped working, it's either been the server just needed a reboot, or someone messed with the IP helpers. Haven't had a Netboot issue in a long time though. My money is on the helpers not being there or that the netboot packets aren't properly being forwarded in a routed network.
John Wetter <john_wetter at hopkins.k12.mn.us> wrote:

John
--
John Wetter
Technical Services Manager
Educational Technology, Media & Information Services
Hopkins Public Schools
952-988-5373