Nomad and 802.1x authentication & setting keyboard and language settings

SNCICT
New Contributor

Hi Guys,

I have been working with jamf support but support are unable to help me out at the moment, regarding nomad login creating a local user account on a mac laptop and then allowing the user to connect via 802.1x authentication using an osx profile we have created in the jss.

Has anyone had success in getting this to work or know of a way?

Also anyone know of a way via command in the jss to add the Australian keyboard and language and region?

Many Thanks

3 REPLIES 3

PaulHazelden
Valued Contributor

Hi SNCICT

defaults write NSGlobalDomain AppleLanguages "(en_GB)"
defaults write NSGlobalDomain AppleLocale -string en_GB

Pick your own replacement for en_GB and it should change over, I cant remember if that switches everything you need.
You can also set default measurements and temperature in there too.

Paul

SNCICT
New Contributor

Hi Paul,

Thanks for getting back to me, do you run/set this directly from a policy in the jss under files and processes and then set in the execute command section? Or can you only executre this in terminal? Is this setting applied globally meaning if we create a new local user that the language and region settings will apply to that user account to?

defaults write NSGlobalDomain AppleLocale -string en_AU; defaults write NSGlobalDomain AppleLanguages "(en_AU)"

Many Thanks
Massimo

PaulHazelden
Valued Contributor

Hi Massimo

It is a Per User preference located in ~/Library/Preferences/.GlobalPreferences.plist

I run it as part of a Shell script, that is run by a LaunchAgent. It runs as the current logging in user.
You can run it in Terminal, but it will only affect that one user.

If you have Login Hooks configured in your JSS setup, you can then save a script in the jss, and set a policy for it to run at Login for each user logging in. In JSS, top right click the cog icon, and then in Computer Management, you are looking for Check-In. Then in there you can turn on the Login/Logout Hooks, and get policies that are set to run on Log in to work.

Although personally I prefer the LaunchAgents method. Create a LaunchAgent plist, set it to run at Launch and point to the Shell script. put the Shell script in a good location on the Mac. The LaunchAgent goes in /Library/LaunchAgents. Then it will run for each user logging in to the Mac.
If you really want to fiddle with it, I think you can script it to insert this in the User Templates, and then every new user who logs in will already be configured. This isn't something I do as I already have the script running at login for all users, and for my setup it is really quick and easy to adjust this script and push it out to all Macs. The only bits of the Templates I change are the preferences that give all the popups for a new logging in user.

Paul