PearsonVue Compass

rlawrimore
New Contributor

Has anyone been able to successfully deploy the new Compass tool that PearsonVue switched to that replaced Console8?

8 REPLIES 8

cgalik
Contributor

@rlawrimore Did you ever get this going? I'm deploying it right now and the best I can get from Pearson tech support is that it needs to be dragged directly to the desktop.

cgalik
Contributor

fwiw, I have a script that seems to be working. Compass still complains that it should be run from ~/Desktop or /Applications, even though it IS in /Applications, but the program itself seems to be working.

#!/bin/bash

hdiutil attach /Library/Application Support/JAMF/Waiting Room/Compass.dmg

cp -R /Volumes/Secure Browser/Compass.app /Applications

diskutil unmount /Volumes/Secure Browser

rm -Rf /Library/Application Support/JAMF/Waiting Room/Compass.dmg

Howard_Trevor
Contributor

Extremely old post here but wondering how this worked out? I manually one by one'd 600 iMacs with the compass app and then the next week when the students go to use it, it requires an update which needs admin rights to run... which they don't have. Would be great to mass install the app.

Did you also have to deal with Gmetrix at all? That too is a nightmare.

cgalik
Contributor

@Howard.Trevor Looks like the script above still stands for Compass. I've got a message in to Pearson development asking what the heck this mysterious "configuration" is that it complains doesn't exist, as well as why this program seems to complain about not being in /Applications when it clearly is. But I am able to get it successfully deployed and running following these steps:

1. Download the zip of Compass from Pearson (11.0.0.3 at this exact moment)
  2. Unzip it in the macOS GUI
  3. Drag Compass.app to a folder by itself
  4. Use Disk Utility to create a dmg from said folder
  5. Cache the dmg with Jamf
  6. Use the above script to deploy to /Applications and clean up

It still complains about the location of the program not being in /Applications for whatever reason, but you can hit Continue on this message and the application does indeed launch.

Howard_Trevor
Contributor

@cgalik That is awesome news. I will give that a shot today. Thanks again for letting me know. Between that and Gmetrix plugins its been a headache.

Howard_Trevor
Contributor

@cgalik So I just gave it a try... multiple tries.... and it keeps failing saying the dmg is corrupt. Which is odd because a manual drag and drop with ARD works fine.

agetz
Contributor

I was just working through this issue today. Kept getting errors about missing configuration parameters...

I had to end up using the Archive Utility to unzip it and then move the file to the Applications folder. 

See my working script below.

Hopefully this helps some others that stumble across this thread!

#!/bin/bash

## We capture the logged in user and the UID to use later when running the local script as the user
loggedInUser=$(stat -f%Su /dev/console)
loggedInUID=$(id -u "$loggedInUser")

## Create a script in /tmp to run as the logged in user
cat << EOS > /private/tmp/unzip_compass.sh
#!/bin/bash

/usr/bin/osascript <<EOF
tell app "Archive Utility" 
activate
open "/Users/Shared/Compass_11.2.2.8.zip"
end tell
EOF

EOS

## Script creation done

## Now make the new script executable
chmod +x /private/tmp/unzip_compass.sh

/bin/launchctl asuser "$loggedInUID" sudo -iu "$loggedInUser" "/private/tmp/unzip_compass.sh"

sleep 10

mv "/Users/Shared/Compass.app" /Applications

Alternatively I can do it like this as the Archive Utility should be the default application to open it.

#!/bin/bash

## We capture the logged in user and the UID to use later when running the local script as the user
loggedInUser=$(stat -f%Su /dev/console)
loggedInUID=$(id -u "$loggedInUser")

/bin/launchctl asuser "$loggedInUID" sudo -iu "$loggedInUser" open "/Users/Shared/Compass_11.2.2.8.zip"

sleep 10

mv "/Users/Shared/Compass.app" /Applications