Prevent user from using computer while login scripts are executing

willsmithcc
New Contributor II

Hi all,

I'm super SUPER new to JAMF/Scripting/etc. I've been on a hands-on crash course because of the fact that summer's coming (new MacBooks...) and it's finally time to get rid of DeployStudio.

Essentially, my goal is to have something happen akin to what happens when one logs into Windows 10 for the first time. ("Please wait... we're getting things ready for you.") It takes a while to install Office, Chrome, etc. with a login hook, and the Dock pops up with question marks as all of the apps aren't yet installed.

I hope I'm being somewhat clear... My brain is fried from staring at JSS all day!!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

obi-k
Valued Contributor II

Try Splash Buddy.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

obi-k
Valued Contributor II

Try Splash Buddy.

arivera
New Contributor III

You can try Jamf Helper, I used it when I was pushing the upgrade to Sierra. I had the upgrade setup on Self Service so that the user's could upgrade at their own leisure, once the preparation of the installation started I had a screen pop up pretty much stating that their machines were being prepared to upgrade to Sierra and this would take 5-10 mins and then the machine will restart. I put the -help results for Jamf Helper, this is probably what you would need to accomplish your goal.

jamfHelper -help Usage: jamfHelper -windowType [-windowPostion] [-title] [-heading] [-description] [-icon] [-button1] [-button2] [-defaultButton] [-cancelButton] [-showDelayOptions] [-alignDescription] [-alignHeading] [-alignCountdown] [-timeout] [-countdown] [-iconSize] [-lockHUD] [-startLaunchd] [-fullScreenIcon] [-kill] -windowType [hud | utility | fs] hud: creates an Apple "Heads Up Display" style window utility: creates an Apple "Utility" style window fs: creates a full screen window the restricts all user input WARNING: Remote access must be used to unlock machines in this mode -windowPosition [ul | ll | ur | lr] Positions window in the upper right, upper left, lower right or lower left of the user's screen If no input is given, the window defaults to the center of the screen -title "string" Sets the window's title to the specified string -heading "string" Sets the heading of the window to the specified string -description "string" Sets the main contents of the window to the specified string -icon path Sets the windows image filed to the image located at the specified path -button1 "string" Creates a button with the specified label -button2 "string" Creates a second button with the specified label -defaultButton [1 | 2] Sets the default button of the window to the specified button. The Default Button will respond to "return" -cancelButton [1 | 2] Sets the cancel button of the window to the specified button. The Cancel Button will respond to "escape" -showDelayOptions "int, int, int,..." Enables the "Delay Options Mode". The window will display a dropdown with the values passed through the string -alignDescription [right | left | center | justified | natural] Aligns the description to the specified alignment -alignHeading [right | left | center | justified | natural] Aligns the heading to the specified alignment -alignCountdown [right | left | center | justified | natural] Aligns the countdown to the specified alignment -timeout int Causes the window to timeout after the specified amount of seconds Note: The timeout will cause the default button, button 1 or button 2 to be selected (in that order) -countdown Displays a string notifying the user when the window will time out -iconSize pixels Changes the image frame to the specified pixel size -lockHUD Removes the ability to exit the HUD by selecting the close button -startlaunchd Starts the JAMF Helper as a launchd process -kill Kills the JAMF Helper when it has been started with launchd -fullScreenIcon Scales the "icon" to the full size of the window Note: Only available in full screen mode Return Values: The JAMF Helper will print the following return values to stdout... 0 - Button 1 was clicked 1 - The Jamf Helper was unable to launch 2 - Button 2 was clicked 3 - Process was started as a launchd task XX1 - Button 1 was clicked with a value of XX seconds selected in the drop-down XX2 - Button 2 was clicked with a value of XX seconds selected in the drop-down 239 - The exit button was clicked 240 - The "ProductVersion" in sw_vers did not return 10.5.X, 10.6.X or 10.7.X 243 - The window timed-out with no buttons on the screen 250 - Bad "-windowType" 254 - Cancel button was select with delay option present 255 - No "-windowType"

willsmithcc
New Contributor II

Thank you!