Question on wiping and enrolling student devices

catesr
Contributor

Hello. So I work for a rather small school district. I am just beginning to refresh our devices (sans the new ones we haven't received yet). The 7th grade students are bringing their devices with them to 8th however (and this is a management decision) I need to wipe them and have them ready to hand back to the kids when school starts.My question is should I delete these devices out of the jss before doing this or just wipe and re-enroll? Does not deleting cause problems. Thanks so much.

3 REPLIES 3

damienbarrett
Valued Contributor

In my experience, wiping and re-enrolling the machines simply updates the already-existing record in the JSS for the device. This can be useful for tracking the history of a machine's "ownership" or assignment.

I've cycled machines for more than 10 years with Jamf and have never deleted the machines from JSS first -- have never had a need to.

Occasionally, I'll see a machine with a duplicate record in JSS (two records; same serial) but it's almost always because of a logic board replacement (serial is the same; but the identifier is different).

catesr
Contributor

Thanks for the response. I kinda sorta thought we could go that way but figured I would check with people who've been doing this much longer than I have. Again thanks.

user-aqupZTwBZM
New Contributor

Wipe and re-enroll would be the best way to handle this.