Remote Control & Software Deployment on MAC systems using SCCM 2012

NavdeepSidhu
New Contributor

Hi Folks
I'm new to this forum & don't know much about JAMF products. I have a SCCm 2012 environment up & running and I'm very much familiar with Configuration Manager. I want to manage MAC machines through Configuration Manager & want to achieve below things using SCCM

1. Remote Control of MAC machine from SCCM console
  2. Software/Application Deployment at MAC machines remotely
  3. Patching of MAC machines

I'm little bit aware of JSS SCCM Plug-in however the user guide of SCCM Plug-in does not contain these features which I mentioned above. It only talks about software & hardware inventory of MAC machines will be collected by SCCM.

My main objective is to integrate JAMF product/suite with SCCM 2012 so that I can manage/configure Windows & MAC machines from a single window i.e. SCCM console.

Any help in this regard would be appreciated.

14 REPLIES 14

ooshnoo
Valued Contributor
  1. Use Apple Remote Desktop
  2. Upgrade to SCCM 2012 SP1
  3. Upgrade to SCCM 2012 SP1

Brad_G
Contributor II

The SCCM plug-in is only intended to pass inventory information to SCCM for one-stop reporting. It is not intended to be a conduit for management of Macs via SCCM.

dpertschi
Valued Contributor

If you install Casper Suite; then your going to mange Macs from Casper, and Windows from SCCM, and your going to install the JAMF SCCM-plugin so that your inventory data for both platforms can be reported from the SCCM console.

It would make little sense to install Casper but only use SCCM to manage the Macs.

dpertschi
Valued Contributor

If you install Casper Suite; then your going to mange Macs from Casper, and Windows from SCCM, and your going to install the JAMF SCCM-plugin so that your inventory data for both platforms can be reported from the SCCM console.

It would make little sense to install Casper but only use SCCM to manage the Macs.

dpertschi
Valued Contributor

It would make little sense to install Casper but only use SCCM to manage the Macs...

EDIT: Cool, I tripple posted with one click. I RULE!

shakim
New Contributor III

SCCM 2012 can manage Mac as advertise. However, from my past experience it was a total failure. Stick with a product which is primarily focused on Mac and NOT WINDOWS!!!

NavdeepSidhu
New Contributor

Guys, thanks for your responses.

I know by installing SCCM 2012 SP1, you can manage MACs with respect to inventory & software deployment however I can't take remote control of MAC even after deploying SCCM SP1 & MAC remote control is one of my prime objective.

Can I conclude that there is NO way to perform remote control, software deployment at MAC machines from SCCM admin console using JAMF solutions?

I believe, these things can only be done via Casper Suite which will operate independently from SCCM.

Brad_G
Contributor II

Yes, you are correct.

jarednichols
Honored Contributor

And for Christ's sake, it's a "Mac" not a "MAC." A MAC is a base 16 unique identifier used for network interfaces, not a computer.

Just a pet peeve of mine. I don't go around calling it WINDOWS.

Oy.

jhalvorson
Valued Contributor

It's not often I say this but jarednichols is wrong. Around here MAC is Move, Adds, and Changes.

I do agree that MAC != Mac

:)

gregp
Contributor

Around the Minneapolis/St Paul area, MAC is also the Metropolitan Airports Commission. I don't know if the MAC has any Macs.

We name our Macs with the computer name set to the MAC address, (but not the MAC's address, as that would not be useful beyond a single machine. If the MAC had only one Mac, then they could certainly use their address for its computer name, but still kinda silly).

Years ago, was at a company that had MAC=Moves, Adds, and Changes, but we didn't have any Macs deployed. Things were OS/2 at the time.

acdesigntech
Contributor II

NIC Card :) *stirs the pot*

donmontalvo
Esteemed Contributor III

Stop with the big MAC vs little Mac stuff already...you're making me hungry! :b

http://www.businessinsider.com/mcdonalds-will-relaunch-the-big-mac-this-year-with-a-blast-of-new-ads....

Ahh...manage PCs and Macs from one console. The Microsoft marketing folks are brilliant.

Cha-ching!

LOL

Don

--
https://donmontalvo.com

gregp
Contributor

Andrew... too funny. That one has bugged me for 20 years.

Received an email mere moments ago. As God as my witness, the following quote from that email is unaltered except for the server names and changed a name to DBA: "DBA and I have completed the file transfers of all database files we needed from server1 and server2 to the WIN servers."

I can't stop laughing.

Relaunching the Big Mac?? Bring back the old commercial and make them look like the picture (or at least reasonably close). Done. They had a special on them a couple of weeks ago for 99 cents each. Don't know if that's still going on.

If they're daring enough, they should try offering a Juicy Lucy or perhaps a variation on it.