Restoring From Time Machine

TimAustin
New Contributor

Hi guys,

I've got a MacBook Pro that has completely died, which was being backed up to a Time Machine. It was also being managed by Casper and bound to Active Directory.

I bought a new MacBook Pro, which I need to set up. Would restoring from the Time Machine backup cause any issues with Casper, due to UID differences? I plan to image the Mac using Casper, then use the Migration Assistant to transfer the data across from Time Machine. The new MacBook is going to have a different system name to the old one too.

1 REPLY 1

mpermann
Valued Contributor II

@TimAustin we use Time Machine and the Migration Assistant to deploy new computers and it mostly works fine. We use Casper Imaging to image the computer. Then when the Setup Assistant runs we choose to restore from a Time Machine backup. We do not migrate applications only user data, network and system settings. One thing I've found that you may also need to do is to re-install the MDM profile. We have a manually triggered policy that takes care of that for us. Basically that policy runs a script that does the following:

jamf removeMdmProfile
jamf manage
jamf mdm -userLevelMdm
jamf recon

We aren't binding our computers to AD so I am not sure if that will make a difference or not. You might need to rebind the new computer to AD but I am not sure. We've been doing this for at least 2 years and it's worked well.