Restoring Prod DB to Test server, with VPP tokens

cdenesha
Valued Contributor II

Hello,

This summer I learned how to duplicate my production DB in a test environment for the purpose of testing configurations and software upgrades. I made the following Note to Self:

AFTER EVERY DB RESTORE FROM LIVE
CHANGE:
    JSS URL (Global Management -> JSS URL) to jss-test.mydomain.org
    APN Cert (Global Management -> Push Certificates)
        Delete existing
        Click New and go through the wizard. Have to create a new APN each time as it has to match the newly created CSR.
    SMTP 'Sender Display Name' (System Settings -> SMTP Server -> Edit) to include 'TEST'

IF TOMCAT IS A BRAND NEW INSTALL 'Change the SSL certificate used for HTTPS' and restart Tomcat (System Settings -> Apache Tomcat Settings -> Edit) Be sure the URL has already been changed (above)

Now that I've implemented VPP with Managed Distribution, my test server immediately makes a connection to Apple and starts making changes if there are differences. I noticed this because I was using a backup from 4 days earlier before I created an Assignment that happened to include me. All of a sudden my apps were being Unassigned.. When I shut down the test server my production server seemed to reassign them, although I might have jumped in and tried to Edit the assignment with a minor change to try and force a refresh.

Has anyone else run into this yet?

Thanks,

chris

0 REPLIES 0