Updating Casper Imaging on Netboot. Netboot.dmg is READ ONLY

jstine
Contributor

Hello,

I am trying to update Casper Imaging from 9.73 - 9.81 on our Netboot image, however the Netboot is read-only and I cannot make any modifications. I tried downloading the entire netboot.dmg to my desktop to change permissions and re-upload, but no go. I cannot figure out how to get access to change the version of Casper Imaging.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Much appreciated.

6 REPLIES 6

dgreening
Valued Contributor II

I would use AutoCasperNBI with a OS package generated with AutoDMG. Super easy and reliable.

bpavlov
Honored Contributor

Recreate your netboot image.

roiegat
Contributor III

How did you create the netboot? Mines are read-write when I copy them locally and I just swap out the Casper Suite folder.

were_wulff
Valued Contributor II

Hi @jstine

The easiest way to do this:

1. Double-click on the Netboot image to mount it (if yours needs to be changed to read-write for this, do so).
  2. Navigate to the Applications folder inside the mounted image.
  3. Drag the new version of Casper Imaging (and any other Capser App you want on there) and overwrite the existing one.
  4. Unmount the Netboot image.

And that should do it.

If that doesn't do the trick, please let us know.

Thanks!
Amanda Wulff
JAMF Software Support

NickKoval
Contributor
Contributor

If your .dmg file is a read-only file, you can use this article from AFP548 to modify it but keep it as read-only.

To echo the comments of @dgreening, @bpavlov & @roiegat, you may want to take look at the tool you are using to create the .dmg inside of your .nbi. Not being able to easily edit that .dmg can add a lot of time to updating your deployment environment.

And if all else fails, contact JAMF Support as @amanda.wulff mentioned.

bentoms
Release Candidate Programs Tester

@jstine Is this an AutoCasperNBI NBI?

If so, I'd really recommend you recreate the NBI via AutoCasperNBI & add the changes via "Additional PKGs"

Again, if it is AutoCasperNBI... rename the NetBoot.dmg to NetBoot.sparseimage & it should then be read/write.

I rename to NetBoot.dmg from NetBoot.sparseimage so NBI's generated with AutoCasperNBI can be used with NetSUS & BSDPy.