Uploading Custom Payload to a Configuration Profile…semi-noob needs help. Thanks in Advance...

teodle
Contributor II

I'm not necessarily completely new to Casper; just having some issues with the mechanics of uploading a custom payload to a Configuration Profile.

Was wanting to disable "reopen windows at next login."

Found an example .plist on JAMF nation that does just what I want to do: disable "reopen windows on next login" for all AD users.

Copied the code to TextEdit.

Saved the file with the extension .mobileconfig

My Mac recognizes this file as a profile. If I double click it, it asks me if I want to install it. Furthermore, if I click "Show Profile," it gives me the exact key pair I want to manage. All good.

But when I try to upload it to the JSS, I get an error that says "file must be in .plist format." Uh. okay. It's XML. The documentation says upload xml data for custom payloads.

What gives? Here's a screenshot showing that the local Mac recognizes it as a custom profile. Why can't the JSS? What am I doing wrong? b256f32870634c3c89d1255c393323f0

I don't understand why you can't just copy the key pairs for the correct domain, etc. straight into the JSS. It's just text.

4 REPLIES 4

teodle
Contributor II

For reference, here's the original thread I found on JAMF Nation discussing how to manage "reopen windows" https://jamfnation.jamfsoftware.com/discussion.html?id=14101

rtrouton
Release Candidate Programs Tester

Try importing the plist linked here:

https://gist.github.com/rtrouton/2e3827ddc795152616a7

dwandro92
Contributor III

If you're trying to add this preference to the "Custom Settings" payload of an existing profile, it should be saved as a .plist.

If you're trying to create a new profile that contains just this setting, try converting the plist to a Config Profile using mcxToProfile, and then upload it to the JSS.

teodle
Contributor II

thanks for the help. uploading the plist file to the "custom" field of my configuration profile did the trick.