What is the best way to deploy a mac OS

bradym
New Contributor II

I need to re image a mac as it is not behaving right. I want to start with the latest OS which at the moment is sierra. How do I format the HD of the mac and re install with sierra to make it like a new OS (like opening a new box)

Thanks
Mike

4 REPLIES 4

jhalvorson
Valued Contributor

This is one way to get back to a factory fresh load of the OS:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201314
Option-Command-R to allow erasing the entire hard drive and all partitions

It might not work if your business network is complex or NAT'ed - it will fail during the chunksum verification.
It will not include any of the Apple app store apps - iMovie, Garageband, Keynote, Pages, Numbers.
It's a slow process, takes between 40 minutes to several hours.

You will get the version of the OS that the computer shipped with. So if you do it with a 2016 MacBook Pro, you'll get Sierra. But if you try with a older Mac you'll get something prior to Sierra.

Another option is to create a OS installer on a USB drive - http://lifehacker.com/how-to-make-a-bootable-macos-sierra-usb-flash-drive-1786853248

Sandy
Valued Contributor II

I have very few models, and I still have a netboot server and a few image configurations.
When a computer needs to be wiped and restored, this is fast and easy.
For new out of box, I wipe and image student cart computers and just enroll staff computers (no wipe).
Student carts are imaged using a prestage, which names them with Asset # included, removes the recovery partition, binds to AD and sets firmware password.

mikez
New Contributor

+1 for the OS installer on a USB drive

TJ_Edgerly
New Contributor III

My personal choice has been two options (assuming this is a "one off" and I have physical access to the computer):

1. AutoDMG to create a "NeverBooted" image. Connect the computer via target disk mode and use disk utility to wipe drive /restore OS. (Fastest option for me).

2. Create a Bootable USB drive (a few tools):

-DiskMakerX
-Install Disk Creator

*note: you can also use a netboot server if you need to wipe/restore more...but based on just wanting to do this on a single computer....1 or 2 would be my personal preference.

Also, as previous poster noted, these will not put back the iLife/iWork suite.