Adding a MacOS app package

Mkoolen
New Contributor II

Hi,

Momentarily I have this issue with adding a MacOS app package in Jamf School.

When I click Add App and select the MacOS Package option, I can drag the file into the field, but when it reaches full it gives an error.
The message shows: "Fault: The uploaded asset could not be processed."

Does anyone have a solution for this issue. I just want to add 2 apps like this because the previous ones were outdated.

Thanks in advance.

16 REPLIES 16

Fluffy
Contributor III

The error messages are quite generic, which can make it hard to troubleshoot. The most common issue seems to be trying to upload a .dmg file when Jamf School only accepts .pkg files for In-House apps.

If that isn't your issue, it could also be a fluke that Jamf School doesn't like something in the package. If it is a package you created yourself, you could try repackaging it and see if it takes the new one. I've had this happen a few times for no apparent reason.

Hope this was helpful.

Mkoolen
New Contributor II

Thank you for the answer.

I know for sure it is a .pkg file since I needed this in order to use it on Jamf School. It comes from the site of the provider itself, so I didn’t make it myself.

I hope there is a solution for this issue.

Thanks in advance.

Fluffy
Contributor III

I believe clearing your browser's cache and/or restarting your machine may help. If that doesn't work, it might be worth trying on a different machine as a sanity check.

Worst case scenario, it may be because of how the package is made. For example, Adobe's Creative Cloud installer package will always fail to upload and requires it to be packaged in another package with a post-install script in order to be uploaded and install. But, if you've already had it uploaded before, this may not be the case.

Hello, could you explain to me how you did this? i have the same problem.
Currently I need to install Adobe Suite and Office 2021 package.

Thank you very much

The rabbit hole that I went down led me to this post.

It amounted to running the first package downloaded from Adobe for Creative Cloud and packaging all of its contents into a new package. The new package has a post-install script that runs the package inside.

I cannot verify what the case is for Office. Our Office 2016 bundle uploaded fine the first time, though I don't know if how it is packaged has changed.

Mkoolen
New Contributor II

Thanks for the reply.

Already tried to empty the cache and the restart. Also tried it on an incognito screen.
Tomorrow I will try it on another machine to check it. 

In this case it's for OneDrive and Teams. Don't know if there are known issues for these 2 apps?

Fluffy
Contributor III

We push out a package with Office 2019 apps (including OneDrive and Teams) bundled and have not had issues uploading it. I wouldn't suspect the individual packages would be much different.

I'm not sure what else to recommend at this point, sounds like you've covered your bases pretty well.

Like @Fluffy we also deploy ODfB as a VPP app, which is always much more turnkey in my experience than packaging your own. (Have you used Apple School Manager to associate apps with your company using  volume licensing before?)

Teams is not in the store but provides a DMG from Microsoft; I believe we were able to pull the pkg from that and just upload it to Jamf School.

Can you expand a little on the process you're using? Where are you downloading the files from? Are you trying to drag and drop the DMG, or the PKG from within it? 

Composer is an option to repackage PKG that might not be signed right or have other metadata snags. There's a small learning curve, but it's also helped us quickly repackage apps that just needed to be sourced and repackaged, not really modified or changed significantly.  

I downloaded it from the site of the provider itself. For Teams as well as for OneDrive in this case. Before I didn`t have any problems with other apps, it`s just these two that are constantly giving the same issue.

It`s the PKG I tried to upload. The apps are not in the ASM so that`s why I downloaded them from the website. I will take a look at Composer to try that as a last resort.

TimDearborn
New Contributor II

Have you found any solution to this?  I am experiencing the same issue when trying to upload the Zoom IT installer package.

Mkoolen
New Contributor II

Hi Tim,

I have downloaded a new .pkg, with in this case, a version of OneDrive in the package.
In my opinion the .pkg I had earlier was corrupted.

Everything is working fine on our end at this moment. Maybe this is an option for your issue as well?

TimDearborn
New Contributor II
Thanks. Unfortunately, I have tried the last couple of versions of the
Zoom IT package without success. (Before that, I uploaded several
different versions of the package without issue.

Tim Dearborn
Technology Department
LaGrange Highlands School District 106
www.district106.net
tdearborn@district106.net

--
This message is being sent by LaGrange Highlands District 106. It is
intended exclusively for the individuals and entities to which it is
addressed. This communication, including any attachments, may contain
information that is proprietary, privileged, and confidential, including
information that is protected under the HIPAA privacy rules, or otherwise
legally exempt from disclosure. If you are not the named addressee, you are
not authorized to read, print, retain, copy or disseminate this message or
any part of it. If you have received this message in error, please notify
the sender immediately by email and delete all copies of this message. This
message is protected by applicable legal privileges and is confidential.

Mkoolen
New Contributor II

Hi Tim, 

Where did you download the package from? So I can try myself? Maybe, if I have some spare time I can check for a solution.

TimDearborn
New Contributor II

Sure - thank you!!

-- Go to https://zoom.us/download

-- In the top right corner, click the link "Download for IT Admin". (Note that this is being done from a browser running on a Mac.)

I'm having the exact same problem with, wait for it, the Jamf_School_Self_Service.pkg file downloaded directly from JAMF.  I went to this page : https://docs.jamf.com/jamf-school/documentation/Jamf_School_Self_Service_for_Computers.html and got the file.  Very vague error that doesn't help at all.

sysmer
New Contributor

I had a similar issue trying to deploy some Dremel 3D slicer software for the printer in our school lab. Originally I tried to build a .pkg file of the app using the productbuild command in MacOS. That did generate a .pkg file, but Jamf School consistently gave me "Fault: The uploaded asset could not be processed." when I attempted to upload the pkg file. I figured it must be something with the way productbuild creates/signs .pkg which Jamf doesn't like. I then tried using Jamf Composer figuring maybe there's some special sauce it puts into the .pkg which would make Jamf School happy when uploaded, and sure enough that did it. So if you're running into this error, download Jamf Composer, drag your .app file to the sidebar in the Jamf Composer, then select create pkg. That resultant .pkg file should then upload to Jamf School without error.