App Installers

mramola
New Contributor III

App Installers are new to Jamf School.  I have been experimenting with Chrome on a test device.  Since I installed Chrome using the App Installer there has been an update to Chrome.  How and when will this update be loaded into Jamf School and pushed out to any devices the app is scoped to?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

K3v1nK33ch
New Contributor III

This is a good question, I wanted to know the answer myself. I created a ticket with Jamf and asked this question. Here was their reply. "With App Installers, Jamf is responsible in finding app updates and pushing out a new version when found to devices automatically." I will experiment with this with Chrome on macOS, since it updates a lot.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

K3v1nK33ch
New Contributor III

This is a good question, I wanted to know the answer myself. I created a ticket with Jamf and asked this question. Here was their reply. "With App Installers, Jamf is responsible in finding app updates and pushing out a new version when found to devices automatically." I will experiment with this with Chrome on macOS, since it updates a lot.

mramola
New Contributor III

Thank you for the response.  I was able to scope this out to my fleet of macs (all teacher computers) and it has been keeping them up to date automatically.  My only concern is the timing of the update....the first update to 300 computers ran during school hours and did cause a little bit of a blip with our network.  I'm hoping that isn't the case going forward and should happen when our devices check in nightly, or first thing in the morning when they get to school (before students arrive and therefore less network traffic and dependency).

yjian
New Contributor III

How did you manage to update automatically and do you know roughly the duration for JAMF to update their version? Currently, I have to remove the Google Chrome App and  add it again to have the latest version.

Thank you

K3v1nK33ch
New Contributor III

I'm taking a closer look at this. I just implemented it a week ago. I see that Chrome updated to 118, and my version in App Installers is still 117, so it didn't update automatically. I will dig into this and see what I can learn.

mramola
New Contributor III

I would check on an actual machine...mine looks the same but if I look on an actual computer Chrome has updated.

yjian
New Contributor III

For my case the actual MacBook that I am using did NOT auto update.😓

Thanks for answering it, I appreciate you.