Jamf Connect Notify - Doesn't trigger script and displays default message

mculp
New Contributor

Hi everyone,

I’m converting from DEPNotify to Jamf Connect’s native Notify function and I am struggling with Jamf Connect not executing my script, instead displaying the generic “Reticulating splines Again…” message. I have rebuilt all configuration items multiple times to no avail and have opened a support ticket with Jamf but their recommendation of a metapackage with permissions that do not match their documentation did not resolve the issue. I feel like I must be missing something and hope that someone here can point me in the right direction. Any assistance you can provide is greatly appreciated!

Configuration:
-macOS 14.3.1
-Jamf Connect 2.32.0
-Using unmodified sample script found at jamfconnect/scripts/Notify/Jamf-Connect-Notify-Script.sh at main · jamf/jamfconnect · GitHub
-Sample script packaged with Composer, signed with Jamf Pro built-in CA, and deployed to /Users/Shared/jamfconnect/Jamf-Connect-Notify-Script.sh
-Both /Users/Shared/jamfconnect/ folder and Jamf-Connect-Notify-Script.sh script set to root:wheel and permissions of 755
-Configuration profile for Jamf Connect includes ScriptPath = /Users/Shared/jamfconnect/Jamf-Connect-Notify-Script.sh as well as the com.jamf.connect.authchanger domain arguments to apply -reset -JamfConnect -Notify
-PreStage enrollment includes Jamf Connect, Notify script, Jamf Connect Launch Agent, and our brand assets all as separate packages, as well as the Jamf Connect, Menu Bar, and License plists deployed as separate configuration profiles

How to reproduce:

Freshly wiped device deleted from Jamf inventory, start enrollment, and go through local account creation by signing into our IdP. Once account creation completes, the Notify window appears, but it shows what I think is a generic message ending with “Reticulating splines Again…” as opposed to what I expect from the script, which should be the message “Welcome to AnyCo!”. The Notify window never changes, and I must CMD+CTRL+X to drop to desktop.

Diagnostics data:
-/var/log/install.log confirms the script package installed successfully
-Privacy & Security > Profiles confirms the ScriptPath line within the Jamf Connect configuration profile
-‘authchanger -print’ shows both JamfConnectLogin:RunScript,privileged and JamfConnectLogin:Notify
-/var/log/jamf.log includes no reference to the script
-logs collected from the Menu Bar app > Collect Logs include no reference to the script
-/private/tmp/jamf_login.log includes a handful of lines which stand out as suspicious:

Info - AuthorizationPlugin: Invoking RunScript mechanism 
Info - LoginSwiftMech: Initializing RunScript mechanism. 
Info - RunScript: Status of didSaveToken is false, Status of didSaveTokenRaw is false 
Info - AppDetails: ScriptArgs Value: /Users/Shared/jamfconnect/Jamf-Connect-Notify-Script.sh 
Info - RunScript: Status of didRunScript is true 
Info - LoginSwiftMech: Deinitializing RunScript mechanism 
Info - RunScript: New account; updating preboot if needed -/var/tmp/depnotify.log is an empty file

1 REPLY 1

mculp
New Contributor

I've resolved this by removing an exclamation point from the end of the MainTitle text value included as part of the example script. I believe Bash was interpreting the ! as a history command instead of echoing the text, and since it was the first action within the script (excepting variable declarations), the script errored out and never wrote any commands to the control file.

Hopefully someone else finds this of value in the future.