Recently Changed Password Cannot Connect to Network Storage

OCS
New Contributor

We have a classroom that is set up in such a way where the students connect to the teacher's NAS that is hooked up to the computer. That NAS is shared out via the teacher's computer, and the student's connect to it using the IP address of that computer. We haven't had issues with this, however, with students that have changed their password in the last day or so, they are not able to connect with their updated credentials.

Typically this would not be an issue, but something must've occurred today. From what I have deduced, the local credentials stored somewhere are not being updated with the new password, so when the student goes to connect to the NAS, it can't authenticate. With one of the students I verified this by changing his password in the Users & Groups menu to what his Entra ID credentials were that he was able to log onto the computer with. When I changed it to match that, he was able to connect to the NAS successfully. Somewhere along the lines an entry isn't being updated on the computer when the students change their passwords. They are able to login successfully, just can't authenticate to the NAS. All other students who haven't changed their passwords in the last day are able to log in completely fine. 

Another thing I had noticed within the Jamf Connect Menu app, it says the student's password is set to expire in 364 days, however this is not accurate. We have it set to 270 days after a password reset on our backend. I am not sure it seems to be syncing correctly. 

We are using Jamf Connect 2.32 on MacOS 14.3.1

1 REPLY 1

sdagley
Esteemed Contributor II

@OCS What you're seeing is normal behavior, the password saved in the user's login keychain if they select the option to save the password when connecting to a share is never updated when the user's login password is changed because there is no requirement for it be the same password. Your students should not select the option to save the password when connecting to the share.