Jamf App Catalog Apps installation delay

myu
New Contributor III

I've tried moving all of the apps that use Policies to install to use Jamf App Catalog instead (if they are present). What I noticed is that the apps take a long time to install when re-provisioning a Macbook. Sometimes it would take 3 days before the apps would show up as installed on the Macbook.

Is this delay normal? Is there a setting to force it to install immediately after enrolment just like it did with Policies?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

dmichels
Contributor II

There is not a way to force the apps to update, the delay is normal. 

View solution in original post

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

I would suggest not using the Jamf App Catalog for "provisioning" a new system, and instead use it only to keep existing apps up to date. Instead, for setting up a new machine, stick to regular policies or other more immediate methods, like scripts if you're comfortable with those, to get those applications installed. As you found out here, installing apps over the MDM method is not fast.

No-one would complain much if an update to an already installed app took 2-3 days to arrive, but few are going to be ok with waiting 2-3 days (or even 1 day) for their Mac to get set up so they can start using it. That's just unreasonable.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

dmichels
Contributor II

There is not a way to force the apps to update, the delay is normal. 

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

I would suggest not using the Jamf App Catalog for "provisioning" a new system, and instead use it only to keep existing apps up to date. Instead, for setting up a new machine, stick to regular policies or other more immediate methods, like scripts if you're comfortable with those, to get those applications installed. As you found out here, installing apps over the MDM method is not fast.

No-one would complain much if an update to an already installed app took 2-3 days to arrive, but few are going to be ok with waiting 2-3 days (or even 1 day) for their Mac to get set up so they can start using it. That's just unreasonable.

myu
New Contributor III

Thanks for the answers.