MacOS Sonoma Jamf Connect

ItZPomme
New Contributor

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to use MacOS Sonoma through the public Beta but with Jamf Connect it blacks screen. As soon as my macbook air M1 2020 boots up normally i get the jamf connect page. Now with sonoma i get few seconds of mouse and after that it black screen nothing is happening. i tried reinstalling sonoma and jamf connect not working. i tried to reset the authchanger through the terminal in recovery mode but it doesn't work. Do you have any idea?

Thanks

29 REPLIES 29

isradame
Contributor

I have the same issue with Sonoma and JAMF Connect. This is what it has solved this issue for me.

If the computer has either the Apple's T2 or M1 chip and does not have an internet connection, you must use macOS Recovery to reset the computer's authentication database.

Requirements

If FileVault is enabled, a user account with a secure token is required.

1. Shut down the computer.
  2. Press and hold the power button.
    The text "Loading Startup options" displays.
  3. Click Options and then click Continue.
  4. Click Disk Utility and choose the primary hard drive from the left sidebar, and then click Mount.
  5. From the menu bar, click Utilities > Terminal.
  6. In Terminal, execute the following commands:
    cd /Volumes/Macintosh\ HD/var/db/
    rm ./auth.db
    rm ./auth.db-shm
    rm ./auth.db-wal
  7. Restart the computer by executing the following command:
    shutdown -r now
The computer restarts and the native macOS login window displays.

Jamf Connect 2.27 Beta 1 resolves this issue with Sonoma. PI112064.

snowfox
Contributor III

Apple have significantly changed the macOS 14 login screen to match that of iOS (even now has a big digital clock in the middle of the screen etc.) in their march towards OS platform unity.  Jamf Connect is currently not compatible with this new login screen layout.  Disabling it when using the beta is currently the only option.  This also happened to me on an enrolled UTM virtual machine.

gkempenich
New Contributor II

I'm having this same issue. Hoping Jamf Connect 2.27 fixes it and that its released soon.

@gkempenich I am testing JAMF Connect Beta 2.27 and it resolves the issue with macOS Sonoma.

dan_ashley
New Contributor III

I'm also testing with the Jamf Connect beta for v2.27.0 and can confirm all is now working in our environment with macOS Sonoma once this version of Jamf Connect is used instead of earlier versions.

dan_ashley
New Contributor III

Jamf Connect v2.27.0 has now been released. Have carried out testing with this version of Jamf Connect on macOS Sonoma and can confirm the issues previously experienced are now resolved.

duff2481-1
New Contributor III

We cannot even boot devices into recovery mode.  It gives the "loading startup options" and then black screens there too.   I was running JC for months with Sonoma and hadn't had issues until RC2 was released.

duff2481-1
New Contributor III

we aren't able to boot into recovery mode.  I was running JC and didn't have issues until RC2 came out.  Anyone seeing this behavior?

dfracassa
New Contributor III

I have a few "Happy" users who have updated to Sonoma before we could push out the update for JC to 2.27.0, but once I get to recovery mode. I cannot execute the "rm" commands, I keep on getting "no such file or directory" response from terminal.

These files dont seem to exist auth.db, auth.db-shm and auth.db.-wal

Any suggestions on why is happening?

MikeR11
New Contributor II

Having the same issues after an accidental update from our end user. They only see a black display after signing in. Was able to regain access after running the below command.

/usr/local/bin/authchanger -reset -jamfconnect

dfracassa
New Contributor III

I fixed my issue, I mounted the wrong drive....whoops!

can you share what you ran, we're having the same issue

dfracassa
New Contributor III

I ran the exact commands listed above by @isradame's post.

The only difference is that when you go to Disk Utilty if you have Macintosh HD and Macintosh HD - DATA Volumes, you have to mount that DATA Volume as well, I had just mounted the regular one and that is why the commands were returning "No such file or directory" at the beginning.

Thanks

user-iHXgOBrnTe
New Contributor

I'm using JAMFconnect 2.28 and I'm experiencing the same issue...

drei
New Contributor II

The original fix does work, but the key is mounting the correct volume. Here are the steps for the helpdesk:

-Boot into Recovery Mode
-Choose Options>Continue
-Select User, click Next, and enter password
-Go to Disk Utility>Continue
-Expand Macintosh HD volumes
-Click on Macintosh HD - Data
-Click on Mount in top-right corner and enter password

Macintosh HD - Data should now have the Unmount button in the top-right corner, indicating it's been mounted

-From top-left corner, Quit Disk Utility
-Go to Utilities>Terminal
-Type "cd /Volumes/Macintosh\ HD/var/db/"
-Type one by one and press Enter:
rm ./auth.db
rm ./auth.db-shm
rm ./auth.db-wal

There should be no errors if commands ran successfully.

-Type "shutdown -r now" to reboot.
-Log in normally at first Mac login screen - the second login screen should now be gone.

If you run "/usr/local/bin/authchanger -reset -jamfconnect", which you should be doing anyway as a daily policy so everyone is authenticating via Jamf Connect, it will undo the settings and break it again. The permanent fix is to update Jamf Connect to v2.28. Confirm this version is installed on the Mac and you should be able to log in normally via Jamf Connect after a reboot. 

IamBruce
New Contributor

You are my hero!

Mac2020Jamf
New Contributor II

Thank you DREI. Unfortunately, it is not working on machine. Jamf Connect 2.28 and Sonoma 14.0 (23A344). It still show the black screen after I log out. I had to do the terminal:

Type "cd /Volumes/Macintosh\ HD/var/db/"
-Type one by one and press Enter:
rm ./auth.db
rm ./auth.db-shm
rm ./auth.db-wal

-Type "shutdown -r now" to reboot.

as temporary to disable jamf connect.

drei
New Contributor II

You are confident the version is 2.28 on that endpoint? Both Jamf support and my environment have confirmed this fix. 

Mac2020Jamf
New Contributor II

Yes, it is. I checked the jamf connect profile and it is 2.28. It doesn't work on MacOS Sonoma once I log out and it became black screen. (I am testing on one of the computer (test computer) before deploy to all computers.)

drei
New Contributor II

What do you mean by Jamf Connect profile? It's the application itself that needs to be 2.28. You should see this in Jamf under Inventory>Applicatinos>Jamf Connect.app for the test machine. 

user-iHXgOBrnTe
New Contributor

same for me even if i'm using 2.28 Jamf Connect app....

Thank drei for pointing out about Jamf Connect. I am overlooking it since it is not assign to specific device once you review the version, please follow DREI's instruction and make sure Jamf Connect is 2.28 that assign that device then wait for few minutes before you log out and let it runs to update from old version to 2.28.

drei
New Contributor II

I can also confirm the recovery mode commands are not necessary if you are ready to deploy the latest version of Jamf Connect. Push out the policy to install Jamf Connect v2.28 with the launch agent, log into the affected Mac, and wait at the black screen 5-10 minutes. The first login screen decrypts File Vault, which has to happen before the Mac can connect to the Internet and receive policy updates. The other catch is doing this next to a known network since you can't see the screen to select a Wi-Fi network. Once the Mac is at the black screen (connected to power and automatically to its known Wi-Fi network), it will fix itself as soon as the new Jamf Connect is installed. You can verify the Mac is checking in and the status of the policy from Jamf Pro. 

jmmarquez
New Contributor

Hey guys, we are having the same issue with a user's laptop who updated to macOS14 beta, and jamf connect broke. We tried this

cd /Volumes/Macintosh\ HD/var/db/
rm ./auth.db
rm ./auth.db-shm
rm ./auth.db-wal

but those 3 files are not present on the laptop. The laptop had jamf running without issues until the macOS beta update, but has not reported back to jamf since the day the update was installed. We've been troubleshooting the laptop in recovery mode. 
Any ideas on how to proceed? Thanks!

MrSuaz_WMG
New Contributor II

/sbin/mount -uw /

macOS 10.15 or later. >>>.  mount -uw /System/Volumes/Data

Execute the following commands:

cd /var/db/

rm ./auth.db

rm ./auth.db-shm

rm ./auth.db-wal

Restart the computer by executing the following command

shutdown -r now

Hi MrSuaz, since we cannot log into a user account, and safe mode does not work either (we tried logging in but we get the same black screen) you mean we should try to run this in a terminal while in recovery mode, right? (We did make sure the volume was mounted before attempting to find the files we were supposed to delete)

One thing i am not fully understanding is this:

/sbin/mount -uw /

macOS 10.15 or later. >>>.  mount -uw /System/Volumes/Data

What does this refer to? can you elaborate a bit on this? Thanks!

Sorry I think I was rushing and copied and pasted incorrectly. 

But the information above on the is correct. 

/sbin/mount -uw /

cd /Volumes/Macintosh\ HD/var/db
rm ./auth.db
rm ./auth.db-shm
rm ./auth.db-wal

Just do an "ls" command to see what's listed after you change directories.  

MrSuaz_WMG
New Contributor II

Confirmed. This is fixed with JAMF Connect 2.28.1