macOS Sonoma with JAMF Connect

MK03
New Contributor II

Hello,

I've recently upgraded a MacBook to macOS 14, but Jamf Connect (2.27.0) is not working properly.
When i log off, i see just the normal Sonoma Logon-Screen.

Is there a new setting?
Do i need to turn off Filevault?

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

MK03
New Contributor II

Hallo again,

now it's up and running.
One of my profiles was not correctly installed.

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15

dvasquez
Valued Contributor

You should be ok with that version of Jamf Connect + macOS Sonoma. 

Are you running the latest version of OS 14?

Have you tried to authchanger command?

/usr/local/bin/authchanger -reset -JamfConnect

Then log out and back in.

Hope this helps you.

MK03
New Contributor II

Hello,

Yeah, latest macOS 14.
After the Command the Login-Screen changed to Jamf Connect, but the Microsoft Azure Login is being black.
Im getting following error: Error: JamfConnectLogin.JCAuthProviderFactory.FactoryError-Error 0.

Do i need to reconfigure some Config-Files?

MK03
New Contributor II

Hallo again,

now it's up and running.
One of my profiles was not correctly installed.

kiltedtenor
New Contributor II

I'd like to know this too. Same error here and it was happening pre-Sonoma as well.

user-bQEmwDGVHH
New Contributor

I have the same issue.  Can you share any more detail?  Was it a problem with one of your Jamf Connect profiles?  

benj
New Contributor II

We're using Jamf Connect and have run into this issue as well. We have several users who upgraded to 14 (our policy to block the installer no longer does anything) and they can't get to the login screen as it's completely black.

Anyone know the fix?

afnpw
New Contributor III

For your issue, I would double check that you are at least on Jamf Connect 2.27.0, as that is the version of Jamf Connect that became compatible with Sonoma

benj
New Contributor II

Thanks, @afnpw I ended up deploying 2.28 and testing that it fixed the issue. Fortunately it deployed to the macOS 14 machines that were stuck on the black sign-in screen.

Mac2020Jamf
New Contributor II

Same here, benj. It showed the same issue. 

dvasquez
Valued Contributor

Interestingly at this moment version 27.0 is working for us in production. I am testing version 28 now. 

DWilliams-cmsd
New Contributor III

I'm running Jamf Connect v2.28 in production on machines with either Monterey or Ventura.  I am testing macOS upgrades to Sonoma via Self Service.

As we are all seeing, once the upgrade has completed, the Sonoma login screen takes over from the Jamf Connect login screen.  Jamf Connect seems to need a "nudge" to get back to the login screen.  I found two ways...

1.  By accident and after reading the first part of this thread, I pushed Jamf Connect up to v2.28.  Pushing the latest version of the app was enough of a nudge for Jamf Connect retake the login screen.  However, this is not practical in production as a method to reset the login screen.

2.  Thanks to @dvasquez for including the bit of script for resetting the login screen back to Jamf Connect.  I am incorporating that at the end of my upgrade to Sonoma.  I'll trigger it for computers on OS version 14.0 and later.  That way, each computer that upgrades to 14 and checks in will get its login screen reset.

Best of luck and post up if you need further assistance. 

Gallinger
New Contributor

I ran into this issue a with the previous major release, adding a policy with this command scoped to macs running the new major release resolved the issue.

/usr/local/bin/authchanger -reset -jamfconnect

Also ensure you are using the latest connect launch agent, not just the connect pkg

DWilliams-cmsd
New Contributor III

For those just finding this thread or still working through this issue, I have now experimented with the process of resetting the login screen back to Jamf Connect after an upgrade to Sonoma.  Here is what I have found and what I have set up that is working in my production environment.

Basics:

• We are running the entire process through Self Service
  • We are already running Jamf Connect 2.28 in production
  • We mostly upgrading from Monterey or Ventura to Sonoma, but a few machines may be upgrading from Big Sur.

Findings:

A.  It is true that upgrading from an earlier version of Jamf Connect to a higher version (2.27 or 2.28) will "nudge" Jamf Connect to reset the login screen, but this only works if ALL machines in your production environment are already on Sonoma.  A machine that is already running Jamf Connect v2.28 that then upgrades to Sonoma will not get a "reset" from a Jamf Connect upgrade, because it can't upgrade past the highest version of Jamf Connect.  Thus, the piece of script that has been mentioned a few times above must be used:

/usr/local/bin/authchanger -reset -jamfconnect

B.  The script must be kicked off AFTER Sonoma upgrades.  Two ways that MIGHT done:

• The way that didn't work...  Include a "Files and Processes" payload in the Sonoma upgrade policy that runs at the end of the policy execution.  The "Process" to kick off as part of the upgrade that will reset the screen is "authchanger" (shown above).  The problem I found is that the process runs at the end of the policy execution but before the computer has actually completed its upgrade to Sonoma.  Thus, this is a no go for us.
  • The way that DID work...  Run the script after the computer reboots to Sonoma.

Production Setup (start to finish):

1.  Policy that fetches the Install macOS Sonoma.app package.  Scoped to computers not yet on Sonoma that are compatible with the new OS.

2.  Policy that runs the Install macOS Sonoma.app package (the typical script that kicks off the Sonoma Installer (/Applications/Install\ macOS\ Sonoma.app/Contents/Resources/startosinstall --nointeraction --agreetolicense --forcequitapps).  Scoped to computers that have the Install macOS Sonoma.app package in their Applications folder.  Triggered by the user from Self Service.

3.  Smart Group into which Jamf Connect + Sonoma computers fall -- as soon as they reboot from the upgrade and check in.

4.  Policy with a Script payload to reset the login screen back to Jamf Connect -- scoped to the new Smart Group -- triggers at Startup, Login, and Recurring Check-in (lots of trigger options so the policy runs ASAP) -- runs once per computer.  We have found this is actually triggering at Login.  Thus, the end user gets the Sonoma login screen once, logs in from that Sonoma login screen, and sees the Jamf Connect login screen after they log out.

I hope helps those who are trying to solve this issue on their own.