Onedrive can not open xlsx files when managed my Jamf.

Girnius
New Contributor II

We are having an issue with one drive and being able to open xlsx files from it directly.  We made a Microsoft case and turns out, if you remove Jamf Management it works.  

We get the error: 

Excel cannot open the file ___.xlsx' because the file format or file extension is not valid. Verify that the file has not been corrupted...

But if you copy it locally it works.  Any ideas?

3 REPLIES 3

sdagley
Esteemed Contributor II

@Girnius I've never seen that problem in my environment where OneDrive is used heavily, so I doubt the problem is triggered solely by Jamf Pro. What other security/management type tools (e.g. AV, DLP, CASB...) are you installing on your Macs when they're enrolled in Jamf Pro? And have you taken steps to isolate the xslx file issue to one of them?

Girnius
New Contributor II

Thank you so much for the response!
Okay, I had that problem we figured that out, it was too long of file names, but we removed all our security agents as well, and it didn't work until we removed management.  I'm thinking it's a config profile, but now we can open them in one drive, but they all open as read only.  It's really odd.  If they are opened through recent documents in excel, they work, but if you try to open them directly from the OneDrive view folder view, they will only open as read only.

But if I remove management, it works.  We had a Microsoft case on this they couldn't find anything wrong.  And on our second machine, we left the agents in place, and removed management and it worked again. So we're all scratching our heads.

sdagley
Esteemed Contributor II

That is a real head scratcher, and definitely not a behavior I've seen before. You should probably post this question in the Jamf Pro section of Jamf Nation (https://community.jamf.com/t5/jamf-pro/bd-p/jamf-pro) so it gets more visibility in case someone else has encountered this problem. I'd also suggest you join the MacAdmins Slack channel (https://www.macadmins.org/), if you haven't already and post the question in the #microsoft-onedrive channel.