10.10.4 (14E26a) as Universal NetBoot

bmarks
Contributor II

FYI, if anyone wants to know, 10.10.4 works to create a universal NetBoot image. I only tested the current build of 14E26a as a base OS for AutoCasperNBI, but I haven't found a Mac yet from my collection of machines at work that doesn't boot from this new NetBoot image.

What I do is this:

1.) On my Mac Pro, I create the tiniest partition possible and restore an AutoDMG-created 10.10.3 base image onto it (i.e. my previous base OS dmg for AutoCasperNBI.)
2.) I then boot into this partition, create a user/etc., get the 10.10.4 build via the dev site and upgrade this partition.
3.) Once upgraded, I boot into single user mode and delete the user/autosetupdone/etc. like in the good old days of monolithic golden master images ;)
4.) Booting back into my primary partition on my Mac Pro, I use Composer to capture a base OS dmg from the other partition.
5.) I then use this dmg as the base OS in AutoCasperNBI, otherwise retaining my normal workflow.

I thought this might be helpful info for others. Since we use the JAMF NetSUS appliance in many of our imaging labs, I made the decision to use the betas when possible to maintain a single NetBoot image since the NetSUS VM appliance only supports one NetBoot image at a time. This has worked flawlessly for us in the past. We were already out of inventory of the previous-model Retina 15inch, so I couldn't wait any longer for the official 10.10.4 to drop.

0 REPLIES 0