[10.13.2] Migration Assistant moves files but not the account

McAwesome
Valued Contributor

I've had two different machines come in where we had to re-image them. Both were DEP machines being set up on 10.13.2. We made Time Machine backups on both. We then wiped the drives, reinstalled macOS through an Install High Sierra flash drive, and started setting up the machines. We get to the page where we can choose to restore from a backup. We click Restore From Time Machine Backup, mark just the user's account to transfer, and everything claims to finish correctly. But the account never gets created. All of the user's files are exactly where they should be, but they cannot login because their actual account never got moved over.

I assumed it could be a fluke, so on both machines we tried deleting the migrated files and then redoing the migration through Migration Assistant. On both machines, the exact same thing happened. Both users had all of their files moved, but no account moved.

This is happening pretty reliably with these two machines. Has anyone else seen this happening on their machines?

3 REPLIES 3

notverypc
New Contributor III

I've tried Migration Assistant on 4 different Macs with 4 different accounts multiple times. Data moves but accounts don't.
I've raised a bug report with Apple but haven't had a reply yet.

Strangely enough Migration Assistant did work correctly in 10.13.1

McAwesome
Valued Contributor

Oh good. Not good that it's happening in general, but good that it's not just us. I couldn't find anything through my Google Fu, so even seeing someone else having the problem is a bit of a relief.

notverypc
New Contributor III

There's some posts on OpenRadar (https://openradar.appspot.com) but only a couple. I thought I was going mad - even got someone else to try just in case it was me!