32 or 64 bit app

Rhinehart
Contributor

Is there an easy way to tell weather an app is 32 or 64 bit? I have many apps that work on older iPads but not on the newer ones. some of the apps were updated the end on 2017 by the developer, and say ios 8 and above but still wont work on newer ipads

4 REPLIES 4

CasperSally
Valued Contributor II

Put a ticket in. Jamf can help you to run a script against your database to produce a list of 32bit apps. Ideally they'd alert on it like they do for apps removed from store, but not sure if there's a roadmap for that.

strider_knh
Contributor II

If you have an iPad running iOS 10 and look under Settings --> General --> About --> Applications it will show you a list of all installed apps that will not work in iOS 11. This typical means they are not 64 bit apps.

I work for a school district and keep an iPad at iOS 10 to install every app in our catalogue just to keep track of this.

bumbletech
Contributor III

I wrote a bash script for this that finds all the 32bit and no-longer-available apps. The caveats being "I'm not great at this" and "it works in my environment..."

https://github.com/bumbletech/JSS_API_scripts/blob/master/JSS_API_check_stale_and_32bit_apps.sh

It will take a few seconds per app on your JSS. It'll dump to a CSV on your desktop.

tsossong
New Contributor III

roughly apps updated after the release of iOS 11 are more likely 64bit than 32bit.