9.5x in production ? Is it working well ?

rcorbin
Contributor II

I'm still at 9.32. I held off on 9.4 thinking I would wait until there was a 9.41 or 9.42 as there seemed to be a few issues. While waiting for that 9.5 was released and now we are at 9.52. I went through the known issues list and I don't see anything that looks like a major gotcha, but I thought I would check to see if it is working well for everyone else. 9.32 is humming along fairly well, but it would be nice to have iOS 8 support etc.

6 REPLIES 6

freddie_cox
Contributor III

The big one holding me back to 9.32 is "[D-007568] The Activation Lock bypass code is not collected by the JSS v9.4."

This applies from 9.4-9.52. We allow enabling Find My iPad so I want to make sure we collect the bypass code.

I do have it running in my test environment and looking forward to using iBeacons. However, I don't have a lot of push to add the new iOS 8 MDM features at this time so I am going to hold off just a bit longer.

Spinning up a test environment isn't just good practice but it's easy. Pull your data in and make sure all looks well.

tsuter
New Contributor II

We have it in production (9.51) but we currently haven't started iDevice management yet, purely OS X. My only grievance is not knowing about 'Defect D-007444 - HTML Tags in Description do not work'. All the nice formatting we had in our descriptions has html tags everywhere now. I was hoping it would be addressed in 9.52 but no joy. So now I'm face with cleaning them up and putting them back in when the bug is fixed,

Having said that, it's little things like this that has allowed us to finally get the green light on setting up a dev environment.

rcorbin
Contributor II

Thanks for the tip about the Activation Lock bypass code @freddie.cox. Odd that it's been there right through 9.4-9.52. I'm not sure that's a show stopper for us, but it is nice to have. I often do the test environment thing but I haven't tried our data with a 9.5x instance yet. I guess thats my next step. I was just curious to know if anyone has found any show stoppers.

mradams
Contributor

We are on 9.52 and only support Mobile Devices. From our perspective there are no issues to complain about. The added feature of being able to lock the device name works very well for us. We push profiles based on the name of the device, when the name is changed ant next inventory update it will revert back to the locked name. Activation lock bypass works as well, I have already had to use it several times. The only flaw is the device must be supervised, updated and then enrolled in Casper.. Current devices that are post enrolled do not show the activation lock bypass code.

We did shift from a different MDM vendor and expect that is the reason for the lock bypass issue.

cdenesha
Valued Contributor II

If you plan on enrolling iDevices, be aware that preexisting user assignments (perhaps from the end of last summer) are blown away in 9.5x on enrollment. I had to reassign several hundred iPads to students. I took the time while in each record to also lock the device name..

brad
Contributor

We just upgraded to 9.51 the day 9.52 dropped. We have had good luck so far and the JSS seems even snappier. ~20,000 devices.

-Brad